PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Sprayer Question and Dog House

Andy Pedler
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
A few weeks ago I built a puppy palace for my brother-in-law's two dogs. As you can see from the 3 photos below, the boxer and boston terrier are living large these days. These photos don't show the completed house, but we put shingles on and even trimmed up the interior for them.

81868 81869 81870

As a thank you, my bro-in-law gave me a nice gift card to one of the big box stores, and today that turned into this:

And so tonight I started finishing the display shelf below. It is/was a Christmas present for my wife, but due to a string of oddball events and all of us sharing a cold a few times, I'm just now finishing it.

Finally, here are my questions.....

1. In the HVLP gun's manual it says not to use a quick-release connector to the air hose, but it doesn't explain why. All I had in the shop to hook the thing up was a quick-connect, so that's what I used and it seemed to do fine. But is there some danger to making this my normal practice?

2. I sprayed on a first coat of 1 lb cut shellac. To clean out the sprayer, I did a couple of things. I poured in some straight denatured alcohol and sprayed that through the gun, hoping the solvent would clean out the shellac. Then I rinsed the nozzle and tank with alcohol as well. Is any of that bad practice? I've never used an HVLP sprayer before, and there was almost no information that came with the tool.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks,

Andy - Newark, CA

Joe Chritz
02-17-2008, 3:05 AM
Some quick connects can restrict airflow. As long as it is operating it is fine. I have quick connects on both of mine.

To clean the gun after shellac I put in an ounce or two of DNA and shake it around. I dump most of that out and spray the rest through. Repeat once and it is generally done. I usually dissemble the gun and wipe the needle as well.

Top cup guns are great for cleaning and getting the last bit of finish out. One of the reasons they are so popular with auto refinishers. When you are springing for $100 a gallon paint you want to use all of it you can.

Joe

Phil Phelps
02-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Some quick connects can restrict airflow. As long as it is operating it is fine. I have quick connects on both of mine.

To clean the gun after shellac I put in an ounce or two of DNA and shake it around. I dump most of that out and spray the rest through. Repeat once and it is generally done. I usually dissemble the gun and wipe the needle as well.

Top cup guns are great for cleaning and getting the last bit of finish out. One of the reasons they are so popular with auto refinishers. When you are springing for $100 a gallon paint you want to use all of it you can.

Joe
Where are you buying so cheap :eek: My last pint was $60. I gigging 'ya a little. It depends on the color, mfg., and type. It is really expensive, however. It won't be long though, that you, the general public, won't be able to by any automotive paint. It'll be Uncle Sam law.