PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Pinner??

Greg Muller
02-16-2008, 8:37 PM
Anyone have any idea who makes this pinner for Craftsman? Anyone own/use one? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00918292000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Carpentry+Air+Tools

I would really rather get a Grex or Cadex, but other tools are higher on the priority list right now. I can't find a good used pinner anywhere...

Opinions requested.

Thanks all!!

Greg

Art Mann
02-16-2008, 9:35 PM
I think I would be more inclined to buy the Porter Cable model from Amazon.com for the same price. It may actually be cheaper because you won't pay sales tax. It will drive 1" pins. The website for the Craftsman pinner says it is limited to 3/4" pins.

If you really want to go cheap, get the Harbor Freight one that can be had for $16 on sale. I bought one just to play with and see whether I wanted to buy a good one. So far, the HF has worked flawlessly. I am waiting until it quits working to upgrade.

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I can't find a good used pinner anywhere...

Can you be patient for about another week? ;)

Michael Faurot
02-17-2008, 12:13 PM
If you really want to go cheap, get the Harbor Freight one that can be had for $16 on sale. I bought one just to play with and see whether I wanted to buy a good one. So far, the HF has worked flawlessly. I am waiting until it quits working to upgrade.

I got the same Harbor Freight pinner and I've had no problems at all with it. I didn't get mine on sale, but for $25 and about $3 per box for the pins, I've got no complaints.

Norm Roberts
02-17-2008, 1:50 PM
Does the HF Pinner have enough power to bury the the pins below the surface of the wood and if so, does it leave an unsightly ding caused by the driver?

Thanks

Quesne Ouaques
02-17-2008, 1:56 PM
I got the same Harbor Freight pinner and I've had no problems at all with it. I didn't get mine on sale, but for $25 and about $3 per box for the pins, I've got no complaints.

I have never been shy about telling people that I am a big fan of Harborfreight. I have a boatload of HF air tools that I am most satisfied with, as well as a few power tools that I can recommend wholeheartedly. However, I also tried out the 23 gauge pinner (2 different one's, actually) and I was disappointed.

In one of the units I tested, the largest pins did not fit at all because the height tolerance of the mouth was off by a significant margin. It was enough to not allow the pins to enter at all. I also found that the directional precision of the pins as they exited was less than adequate. Pinning a maple board was frustrating, for example, because the pins would turn when they hit the wood no matter how carefully I aimed the gun.

I have no doubt that you are satisfied with your HF pinner, but my experience was less than desirable. By the way, I was told by one of the store managers at the Sharon Hill, PA store that HF was dropping the price to clear out stock because they will no longer be offering the 23 gauge pin nailer (or maybe they will change the design, who knows). Not sure if this is due to the quality or some other reason, but it is interesting. I have yet to get a pin nailer because the cost of a good quality unit is beyond my budget for the moment, but I am waiting for something on sale or for the prices to come down a bit.

Michael Faurot
02-18-2008, 2:39 AM
Does the HF Pinner have enough power to bury the the pins below the surface of the wood and if so, does it leave an unsightly ding caused by the driver?

Most recently, I've been using mine to rework some plain and flat kitchen cabinet doors by framing the outside of them with mullion made out of what I believe to be eastern white pine. No problems putting the pins below the surface. What you do have to be careful of though is how much pressure you use to hold the nailer against the wood as the metal catch release trigger can mar the wood. As long as I don't push the nailer too hard into the wood, then I get a pin below the surface and just a pin hole to fill with a bit of putty (I'm painting the doors).

When using the pinner with hard woods, it can be hit and miss with getting the pins below the surface. For example, I used it to do a simple breadboard edging with red oak, and the hit rate was maybe 75%.

Peter Stahl
02-18-2008, 6:20 AM
Can you be patient for about another week? ;)

What happens in a week Jim?

Art Mann
02-18-2008, 9:06 AM
I also found that the directional precision of the pins as they exited was less than adequate. Pinning a maple board was frustrating, for example, because the pins would turn when they hit the wood no matter how carefully I aimed the gun.

I predict you will have that problem no matter what brand of pinner you use. The gun can not control the direction of the little wire after it leaves the gun. The tiny wire will bend and follow the direction of the grain. Brand name pins might help a little, but I have had this same problem with longer 18 gauge brad nails on 3 different brands of nailers and brads. If the situation permits, I try to shoot the nails just slightly against the grain to try and compensate.

Jim Becker
02-18-2008, 8:00 PM
What happens in a week Jim?

A pre-owned, low-mileage pinner becomes available...

Chris Kalkowski
04-29-2008, 8:56 PM
Jim, How much? what kind? Email me.

Dave Lehnert
04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I own a 18ga Craftsman gun. Must be 15+ years old. Very good.

Gary Warren
04-30-2008, 2:25 AM
I have always wanted to ask why use a pinner versus a brad nailer versus a finishing nailer. I have both a brad and finish nailer (PC package deal) and really do not know when I should use one or the other and now with all of the adds for the various pinners I am really confused!!! Please help with my ignorance.

Jim Becker
04-30-2008, 8:30 AM
Gary, the 23 gage pins virtually disappear once in the wood, so you can use them in places you wouldn't consider using a brad, such as when installing face frames and trim on built-ins that are pre-finished. You use brads and larger nails for construction that requires the strength of the fastener. You use pins for places where you just need to hold something until the glue dries.

Oh, I also use pins for temporary jigs...very easy to rip apart afterward.