PDA

View Full Version : Any reccomendations for easy to use dovetail jigs

Chris Mehl
02-16-2008, 8:31 PM
Also I am using an old Black and Decker router which leaves much to be desired. Any suggestions for a new router? Remember I am very much an amateur.

Jamie Buxton
02-16-2008, 8:52 PM
The Keller jig is about as complicated as a blunt rock -- and that's a good thing in my opinion. It doesn't have fancy bells and whistles -- the pin-to-pin spacing is fixed, and it only does through dovetails. But if you want a simple approach to slamming out drawers, it is great.

Rick Moyer
02-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Don't have much (knowlegeable) input on a jig. I have the PC 4212 but haven't used it more than experimenting so far. As far as routers, I also have an old Craftsman but would recommend one of the combo kits from DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc. I happen to have the Bosch kit. The combo kits give you the option of fixed base or plunge.

Chris Bruno
02-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I have the PC4210 and have recently finished making 34 drawers with front and rear half blind dovetails. I think the Porter Cable is definitely easy to use and setup, but the 4210 only does half blind dovetails out of the box. you'd need the extra jig to do full blind dovetails.

One other note, I don't know what your router looks like, but you need to make sure you can accommodate the guide bushing for pretty much all of the jigs.

Good luck!
-Chris

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Gramercy makes a nice little saw.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I like Leigh jigs. They look scary as hell, but really a simple enough thing to use. Half blind and through dovetails, variable spacing. I use a Dewalt 621 with mine, which I would not recommend, even if you could still buy it. The base is too small. A router for a dovetail jig needs a round base with no gaping holes in it, both of which are strikes against the 621.

Steve Clardy
02-16-2008, 11:55 PM
PC4214 here. Not the most awesome jig, but it gets it done A-ok

Bill Wyko
02-17-2008, 12:31 AM
If you want a tool you can do doves and a whole lot more, the Incra Jig is great. I don't think it's quite as fast but it's extremely accurate, very easy plus you can do double DTs. I think for the hobbiest the Incra Jig is the way to go. IMHO.

Ed Peters
02-17-2008, 1:47 PM
Keller jig is my preference. It doesn't accomodate any artsy fartsy pin spacing but it is a good solid tool. Oh....it does also make the half blind dovetails. Contrary to the comments of a previous poster. That is what the slots in the aluminum plates are for.

Ed

Mark Carlson
02-17-2008, 2:22 PM
Keller is probably the easiest. Does not do half blind dovetails. Next easiest wood be the akeda. This site does a nice comparison.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/dovetail_jig_compare.htm

~mark