PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing Corel under Vista

Lee DeRaud
02-16-2008, 7:52 PM
I'm trying to install CorelDraw on my new laptop (mid-range HP, AMD dual-core, Vista Home Premium). Since I mostly use this machine for previewing files and some very lightweight work, I thought I would dispense with all the fonts and clip-art and the separate trace program left over from version 12, and just install from the X3 upgrade I bought online awhile back.

Fairly deep into the install, I get a small pop-up message:

Error 1395
Microsoft.MSXML2,publicKeyToken="6bd6b9abf3345378f",version="4.1.0.0", type="win32",processorArchitechture="x86"

and the install does a "roll-back" and (mostly) undoes what has gone before.

So I tried starting with the 3-year-old retail-boxed version 12 discs...same result.

Before I jump down the tech support rabbit-hole, has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Luke Phillips
02-16-2008, 9:16 PM
Sounds like your earlier version of Corel is not compatible with Vista - if you're trying to load the upgrade to X3 without an existing version of CorelDraw on your new laptop, then that will also be a problem. Not sure if you're going to have any luck getting it loaded under Vista without a full version of X3.

Lee DeRaud
02-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Sounds like your earlier version of Corel is not compatible with Vista -...I can believe that, although so far I haven't heard of anyone having a problem.
...if you're trying to load the upgrade to X3 without an existing version of CorelDraw on your new laptop, then that will also be a problem. Not sure if you're going to have any luck getting it loaded under Vista without a full version of X3.As near as I can tell, the "upgrade" X3 I downloaded is a "full version": it installs in completely separate directories from the version 12 files and doesn't seem to care if v12 gets uninstalled or not after the fact. It just doesn't have all the new fonts and clipart...appears to be just disk 1 of the 4-5 disk retail set.

Lee DeRaud
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Just in case anybody else had a similar issue: problem solved.

The installation process is apparently a bit twitchy under Vista, at least with the original (early '06 vintage) X3.
1. You should (must?) be 'admin' to install, even if you have the user access controls disabled.
2. You should turn off any realtime virus detection during the installation.

The actual problem I had was while writing a registry key and had nothing to do with X3 itself.

And a tip of the hat to the tech support folks for the quick response. (The search function in their online problem database leaves a bit to be desired, but so it goes.)