PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour, Max Machine

Mark Winlund
02-16-2008, 6:49 PM
Fellow forum members:
It was suggested that I show people my shop. After being an engraver for 30 plus years, one tends to collect a considerable amont of stuff. I will start with the engraving equipment, and do the rest of the shop in another post. That way, you will not be forced to wade through the whole thing!

First, a bit about me... I am 62, and my first training was in the Navy, during the Viet-Nam war. I went to a full year of school in electronics, 6 days a week, 8 hous a day. This was a great help to me after I was turned loose at 21. My first employment was in electronics. In short order, I was a research technician, final inspector at an aircraft plant, started the first of several businesses that I went broke at, namely electronics manufacturing. I learned pcb making, welding, and an assortment of skills leading up to a short career in TV repair. I got married and moved to Oregon, did CB repair for a while, then started a welding shop. This lasted about 6 years. During that time, a customer asked me to make engraved plates for his equipment that I was fabricating. After looking for a subcontractor, I realized I could buy the equipment (a pantograph) and pay for it with the first job. Eventually, the engraving turned out to be many times more profitable than welding (and you don't have to lie on your back or get burned!)

After a few years of this, Will Dahlgren came out with his CNC engraver, that could out-produce 6 pantographs. I jumped on it, and our business exploded. I did this for the next 25 years or so, expanding into vinyl cutting, screen printing,sublimation, and outdoor signage in addition to our engraving business. At our peak I had 23 employees.

Running a company this size was not much fun, and along with poor health, I retired at 55. I put what I had accumulated into real estate, and the income from that keeps me going along with doing a bit of engraving on the side. I now have only one employee, a helper (Anthony) that is also a crackerjack salesman. I am back enjoying what I do, and have a shop full of tools to do it with. As you will see, I really like tools. Most of my days are spent in the shop building and restoring tools, and engraving the work that Anthony brings in.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me, or reply to the posts.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Winlund
02-16-2008, 6:51 PM
I will try to post the next 3 photos here.

Mark

Mark Winlund
02-16-2008, 11:22 PM
This was meant to be read first; it has all of the engraving stuff...

Mark

Mark Winlund
02-18-2008, 1:20 PM
I have gotten a couple of questions about the exhaust blower for the laser. It is a high pressure blower fitted with a 3 hp three phase motor. I installed a VFD to run it because there was no 3 phase power available in our retail store. I have found that having variable speed is extremely useful. It allows me to "dial in" the amount of hold down pressure on the grid. (ULS lasers are designed to funnel exhaust air down through the honeycomb grid. Blocking off the unused areas with paper makes it a remakable hold down device and flattener!)

Mark

Lisa Walter
02-18-2008, 2:03 PM
You have a very nice, clean and orderly shop :) You must be very proud. I had to chuckle to myself because I worked in manufacturing for 16+ years, and one thing they made us do in the last 10 years or so, was LABEL everything. It's called 5s. We had to go as far as to paint blue lines around everything where it was placed on the floor and label it (such as a garbage can). Some of it was downright silly, but it got the point across.......everything had it's place and if it was out of place you saw the blank area immediately. It helps keep things orderly. Anyway.....I chuckled to myself that all that was missing was the 5s lines and labels on shelves in your shop :)

That one piece of shop equipment.....not sure what it is, kind of looks like a drill press.......is that sitting on a wood pallet?? Is that safe?? Are you able to keep it level sitting on the pallet?

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Lisa Burger

Mark Winlund
02-18-2008, 2:30 PM
That one piece of shop equipment.....not sure what it is, kind of looks like a drill press.......is that sitting on a wood pallet?? Is that safe?? Are you able to keep it level sitting on the pallet?

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Lisa Burger

Actually, that is a 3 dimensional pantographic milling machine. Made by Gorton, it is a model P2-3. It is arguably the largest general purpose pantograph ever made, and probably represents the peak of the evolution of pantographs. It was used to produce dies for all sorts of manufactured products. Most engravers (of my age!) would recognize it as the type of machine used to create steel stamps. If you wish to know more, consult this site:

http://gorton-machine.org:8080/

It is safe on the pallet. The drive motor is only 1/4 hp, so it is not likely to jump around in operation. I don't use it much, nearly everything I have will outdo it. I keep it for sentimental reasons, to remind me of the skill and dedication of the machinists that have gone. It is a beautiful, complex machine from out of the past, never to be made again.

Regards,

Mark

Lisa Walter
02-18-2008, 3:15 PM
My grandfather was a machinist his whole life. He retired from the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Ironically he died a few years ago of asbestosis......something he got from working at the Navy Yard. I wanted to mention earlier that your shop reminded me a lot of his shop. He had many older machines that now sit since he passed away....most are absolete I am sure. Things today weren't made like things of yesterday.

Sandra Force
02-18-2008, 3:18 PM
Mark, The guys can drool all they want to but can I come up and look at it sometime? I do laser engraving for Country Coach in Junction City and live about 25 miles from Corvallis. Would love to see just what you can do.

Mark Winlund
02-18-2008, 3:43 PM
Mark, The guys can drool all they want to but can I come up and look at it sometime? I do laser engraving for Country Coach in Junction City and live about 25 miles from Corvallis. Would love to see just what you can do.

Sure, PM me and I will give you my phone number.

Mark

Chad Voller
02-18-2008, 3:47 PM
Very nice setup.

It's so rare to see a shop so nice, clean, and in order. When I worked in an auto shop, no matter how hard I tried, I could not get it across to the other employees to put back things where you found them. I guess to them, somehow the tools always ended up where they belong. Of course it was just me going around the shop, picking up orphan tools, and finding their home. I've always wondered what that place looks like since I've left...or who took over organizing.

I really like how you have everything organized on the wall. And the tools you have....I don't think I'd ever leave the shop except to eat/sleep.

Joe Pelonio
02-18-2008, 3:54 PM
Very nice setup.

It's so rare to see a shop so nice, clean, and in order.
I have to agree, all that equipment and still so well organized. I have to admit that I stumble around in my shop and would never have the guts to show pictures of it in this messy condition.

Mark Winlund
02-18-2008, 4:01 PM
I don't think I'd ever leave the shop except to eat/sleep.

Actually, it is the place that I can retreat to. I have an agreement with my wife... the shop is my private area, the rest of the known universe is hers....

Mark Winlund
02-18-2008, 4:08 PM
I have to agree, all that equipment and still so well organized. I have to admit that I stumble around in my shop and would never have the guts to show pictures of it in this messy condition.

It does get messy at times (notice that I didn't show the floor!) The organization is not because I like to organize; it is because I can't find anything if it is not! It actually saves me time in the long run.

Mark,

Kelly Bingham
02-23-2008, 11:04 PM
WOW! wish I lived closer so I could stop by and see your shop. And I could probably have a whole day of fun learning all kinds of info from you!

My first engraving was with the Dahlgren - 1985 I believe - on the TRS-80
And my favorite is now the Xenetech. I see you have a few.

I have to ask what is the very large white machine?

Glad you are doing it on your terms now - enjoy!