PDA

View Full Version : Pre Gloat. MM16 coming next week. Some advice wanted

Ben Rafael
02-16-2008, 6:24 PM
Ordered it. Should have it by the end of the week.
Will I be able to get it off of the pallet by myself? My shop entrance is about 6'6" high, I am assuming that this thing on the pallet is higher than that so I will need to get it off of the pallet outside of my shop. Since it has the mobility kit can I roll it off of the pallet somehow.
I know a lot of folks on this site have this saw, and others in the minimax lineup, any advice on getting this beast in place would be appreciated, including how I should prep my shop to be ready to use it. Thanks.

Peter Quinn
02-16-2008, 7:00 PM
My advice...this thing is heavy...don't attempt it alone...ship it to my shop and I will remove the pallet for you!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Doug Shepard
02-16-2008, 7:08 PM
Will I be able to get it off of the pallet by myself?
Not unless you're extremely big and strong - think Andre the Giant.
Mine was a bit of a struggle even with 2 helpers.

My shop entrance is about 6'6" high, I am assuming that this thing on the pallet is higher than that so I will need to get it off of the pallet outside of my shop.
It's usually on a double pallet which wont clear even an 84" opening.

Since it has the mobility kit can I roll it off of the pallet somehow.
You wont really be able to use the mob kit until it's on level ground.
I think probably the most expedient thing is to get at least 2 friends to crab-walk it off the pallets and onto some lumber that you can slide it along. Then drag it inside at an angle until you can stand it up. You'll have to remove a screw from the brake pedal to move it from it's shipping position then re-install with the pedal lined up with the lever arm. You wont be able to get the mob kit Johnson bar pin underneath it until that's moved.

Congrats on the new tool.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2008, 7:15 PM
Ben,

If your MM-16 delivers like mine...Here's what to expect..

The saw was lag-bolted to a pallet. A crate was built around the saw and the pallet. Then the entire package was lifted onto another pallet and the original pallet was screwed to the bottom pallet.

I got mine off using a mini-chain hoist and my Little Giant Ladder. I removed the crate. Put a double loop of 1/2" rope through the two holes in the top of the top wheel cover (the holes are there for that purpose) and tied a bowline knot. I put my Little Giant Ladder up over the saw; placed a piece of header over the top rung of the ladder and wrapped a chain around it. Then I hooked a mini-chain hoist to the chain and the rope. I placed some tension on the chain, removed the 4 lag bolts, and raised the saw about 1". I kicked the double pallet out from under the saw and lowered the saw to the floor of my shop.

Get some help for safety's sake.

Good luck!

Jeff Wright
02-16-2008, 7:17 PM
For one man's experience at unloading some MM tools, including an MM20 bandsaw, go to the Yahoo sponsored MiniMax discussion group and click on FILES on the main page, then download my PDF file entitled MachineDelivery.pdf (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AHm3R3Gcyd8jinxWJu_6h0mTUJr01nOA1cYArsnxFYpyI1Yw7v eyidzqWrazVEoGlKyiUpZAZINI6IMa5oxeO5vlun0BsLU/MachineDelivery.pdf). It is about 20 pages with captions of my receiving the machines and how I went about it.

Ben Rafael
02-16-2008, 7:45 PM
Once I have the saw off of the pallet can I install the mobility kit at that time in order to wheel it in to my shop?

Jim O'Dell
02-16-2008, 8:04 PM
IF it's not too tall to go through the opening, and IF the floor is perfectly smooth at the opening, then yes. But my gut feeling is NO. :( The mobility kit is not the type that allows the BS to roll freely around the shop. I think you'll have to follow Doug's idea of getting friends to help you get the saw off the pallets, then have some wood on the floor that the base can slide on while you and said friends tilt the saw to go through the opening. Be careful not to hold the saw by the table, only the saw body. Once inside where you can stand it up, then install the mobility kit and you can then place it where you want to go. BUT, be careful if you have a rough and/or uneven floor. Congrats on the saw! Jim.

Doug Shepard
02-16-2008, 9:03 PM
IF it's not too tall to go through the opening, and IF the floor is perfectly smooth at the opening, then yes. But my gut feeling is NO. :(

If you've got ANY level change at all from the drive to the garage, I still wouldn't recommend moving it that way without friends to help steady it. Seeing your $new$ saw lurch and wobble with that mobility kit is enough to send you inside for a change of pants.:eek:

Ben Cadotte
02-16-2008, 9:35 PM
Couple questions before I give any ideas. Are you getting lift gate delivery service? Do you have a pick up truck? And is your ceiling covered (any exposed rafters)?

I have moved all my equipment by myself. Delivery, into garage, out of garage to move, and into new garage. I have come up with a couple ways to do things. :eek: :)

Ben Rafael
02-16-2008, 10:26 PM
It is liftgate delivery. If the deliveryman doesn't take the thing up my driveway to my shop I am stuck. With a pallet jack it is only about 75 feet up my driveway.
I do not have a pick up truck. I have a Tahoe. The ceiling in my shop is exposed with 1 rafter. The driveway and the opening to the shop is concrete, smooth, the transition is about 1/2 inch high.

Ben Cadotte
02-17-2008, 12:22 AM
He should back up unless their is low clearance due to tree limbs.

I would suggest you either rent a cart with a strong handle. Or make one. Platform with one end a strong reinforced handle/ end. Strong enough can take the weight of the saw leaning on it. Can have 45 deg gussets to stregthen. Make the cart about 3' long. Don't want it too long, or handle too tall. Want the handle to hit about 1/2 way up the box.

Lower the lift gate so its a little higher than cart. Slide the saw on pallet over the front end of cart. Ocne you think its far enough back to the weight wont flip the cart up. Lean the saw box back to lay on the end handle. Now you can roll it and have it lower than door height.

Now roll it to close to where you want it. Chock or lock the wheels by the pallet end of the cart (keep it from rolling back when you tilt the saw up). Tilt up the saw off the cart and stand it up. As you move the end of the saw the cart will want to tilt up. This is good as you can just let the pallet slide off the cart to the floor. Once the edge of pallet is on the floor you can tilt it up. Crab walk it off the first pallet. Then do the same with the saw off the other pallet. Doing it this way you never have to lift the whole weight of the saw. 2 guys can probably do it very safely.

If thats too shade tree for you.

I have used an engine hoist to move tools too. But would need to get one home and need a wide door (wider than entrance door).

Dan McCallum
02-17-2008, 1:56 AM
I had liftgate delivery to my detached garage. Disassembled the pallets/crating (easy), took the motor and table off, then got three strong neighbours to help me carry the big part across the yard, down the stairs, and into the basement.

I agree with the comment that the mobility kit probably won't help if the ground is less then perfectly even. After I had the saw in the shop for a while I took the mobility kit off. It was clumsy, not very effective in my small shop, and it prevented the bottom door from opening wide enough to take wide blades on and off the saw! I find that I can slide the saw on my slightly dusty floor if I want to move it around a bit.

Michael Handrinos
02-17-2008, 3:23 AM
Hey Ben.

I have a MM coming next month. I have a friend that had his delivered 2 years ago....standing up on the pallet. In talking to my salesman(Eric) he has informed me they are now sent out laying down on the pallet. He says they have had a lot less shipping damage that way. So height should not be a problem.

Congrats on the saw.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2008, 9:43 AM
Michael.....in December my MM-16 delivered...vertically crated to two pallets.

Jim Becker
02-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Good advice already, so I'll just add my CONGRATULATIONS to you, Mr. Ben!

Ben Rafael
02-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey Ben.

I have a MM coming next month. I have a friend that had his delivered 2 years ago....standing up on the pallet. In talking to my salesman(Eric) he has informed me they are now sent out laying down on the pallet. He says they have had a lot less shipping damage that way. So height should not be a problem.

Congrats on the saw.

Mike

I'm going to find out if this is the case. If so, then this makes things a little easier.

Steve Milito
02-17-2008, 11:26 AM
My MM20 came lying on its side this Jan. You need to be careful transferring it about, as the "bottom" is not as structurally as sound as it could be. Mine broke loose somewhere along the way and had some minor damage.

Louis Rucci
02-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I have one too.

I had the driver slide from the lift to my truck, that I drove to my back yard shop.

Since I have a small dolly, a friend helped me lower the bottom to so it could ride with both of us supporting the lighter top.

I slowly removed all the upper framing and unbolted it from the pallets. A SawzAll works great for cutting into managable pieces.

Now that the center of gravity has shifted to the BS base, two of us were able to lift it.

P.S> Great time to install the leveling bolts before lifting.

Ben Rafael
02-18-2008, 10:07 PM
According to Minimax it does come laying on it's side. That makes things a bit easier.

FRITZ STOOP
02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Mine came vertically mounted on two pallets, a small one bolted to a larger one below. I had a flat in situation with a chain hoist.
Lacking that, I'd get 4 strong bodies and gently lay it over on to a wood-surfaced cart of some kind. It is HEAVY and awkward. Definitely hope for best and plan for the worst.

Good luck and congrats! You are going to love this tool!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2008, 9:28 AM
Unless they've changed since last fall......

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=72260&d=1190262259

Tom Godley
02-19-2008, 1:12 PM
They tried to deliver mine last week -- I had conversations with 5 different people at the shipping company regarding the need for a small truck.

Had the small truck all set up, went up to meet the truck....... 44' trailer :(

No one reads - I am still trying to set up the second delivery!

Took a look at it on the truck -- they shipped it prone. I checked on this with MM (Sam Blasco) just to make sure this was correct. He indicated that this is the way they ship them. Sam Blasco has been good to work with BTW.

FRITZ STOOP
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Mine came crated upright, see pic., in Jan. 2008.
I wonder what's up?

Bruce Page
02-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Mine came crated upright, see pic., in Jan. 2008.
I wonder what's up?

Mine did too. The trucker & I had to lay it down to get it through the garage door. I had my son & son in-law help me stand it back up. It wasn't a big deal.