PDA

View Full Version : Latest Universal Ad

Doug Fennell
02-16-2008, 3:45 PM
Anyone gotten the latest Universal sale ad yet? Wound up in my email box this morning -

M-360 60watt $14995 24x12
M-460 60watt $16995 24x18
M-660 60watt $20295 32x18

Sale ends Feb 22, 2008

I bought a Epilog Helix 45W a few months back, but if Universal had these deals then, I would have made a different purchase. Nice prices for some nice machines.

Steve Eide
02-16-2008, 6:27 PM
I received one today also. The prices include a 30 watt upgrade and a cutting table.

Doug Fennell
02-16-2008, 9:31 PM
Well, they missed the boat time table wise for me, but it sure is a good buy for someone currently in the market. I would have bought the X-660 for that price in a flash.

Darryl Messer
02-17-2008, 12:56 AM
I am new to this board and want to say thanks for all the great reading about lasers and woodworking as well, i own an engraving shop and just started looking into the world of lasers.

I have ben lookin into lasers for a few weeks now and this universal seems to be the best deal around, i have had a epilog demoed for me and it was a nice setup but still unsure which one, epilog or universal. I am looking for a table size of around 12x24 and about a 60 watt so the M-360 60 falls in the line im looking for, the epilog has the mini in a 45 watt 12x24 for more $$$ but a few more features.
Is air assist a neccessary feature on these machines??
the universal machine doesnt come standard with it for the special.

any advice will be helpful in making my decision is greatly appreciated

Thanks Darryl

James Fillmore
02-17-2008, 1:04 AM
The air assist is just about a necessity. I have it on an Explorer and retrofitted an old ULS machine with a home brew air assist.

Doug Fennell
02-17-2008, 1:12 AM
Darryl, you cannot possibly go wrong with either a Epilog or Universal. I have an Epilog Helix and love it. Given the current price of the comprable M-460 from Universal I would love it equaly as well. They are both American made and of outstanding quality.

If you're picking between Epilog or Universal, you're picking between a Mustang or Camaro.

Darryl Messer
02-17-2008, 1:35 AM
Ow My Im a chevy Guy through and Through so which is the Camaro the epilog or the universal LOL.

I am going to see a Universal in action next week and see if i can make up my mind on which of the 2 i think is the better machine for me and what im doing but i have to admit the sales rep for the epilog is the best on that end and the price for the universal is the best on that end, so its a hard call so far.

What options did everyone get with there lasers?
the Universal deal above comes standard with a vector table, red dot pointer, pass through cabonate such as that, the only thing i seen was an option was the rotating Jig and the Air assist pump and line setup

James What does the Air Assist do exactly???
and if you were me which options would you want to come with the new machine?

Thanks

Doug Fennell
02-17-2008, 1:40 AM
I couldn't live without the air assist, and I really like the cutting grid for acrylic.

The air assist on the Epilog holds thin material (any material, really) down on the cutting table while engraving. Think of it as an air vise. When I cover up the open holes on the Epilog table it's a death grip. Really.

James Fillmore
02-17-2008, 1:42 AM
I'd get the vector table and the air assist. When I bought my ULS I paid like $900 for a homneycomb table. The alum honeycomb supports your material and the blower can pull smoke down and out from under your work piece. If you lay material on a flat alum plate it won't cut through very pretty at all.

The air assist blows smoke outta the path of the laser, also helps blow dust of the vaporized material outta the way. Lastly on some materials, even the engraving plastics, the air assist actually blows out any flames. I actually almost burned my laser doiwn by not having the air assist on and cutting thick plastic. I walked by the machine to find a nice FIRE going. If I hadn't been watching no telling what might have happened.

Brian J Rogalny
02-17-2008, 7:30 AM
Just got my new universal PLS3.60 with air assist and vector table, and I love it.This machine is very user friendly, and has a great laser interface with preloaded material guidelines.What really sold me on the universal, aside from a great salesman, was the fact that universal makes their own laser tubes, and the price to replace them is considerably less than their competitors, without the fear of your model tube being discontinued.

Darryl Messer
02-17-2008, 8:51 AM
James, that was the 2 options that i figured i would need, Thanks.

Brian, glad to hear you like your Universal, majarity of the people on here (from what i have read) have the epilog machine. havent read that too many people have the universal but with this price deal going on I have ben really looking at them because its a great price, but sometimes price scares me. When it sounds to good to be true most times it is, as the wise old man says.

Thanks

Scott Shepherd
02-17-2008, 8:58 AM
It you have a demo of the machines listed, make sure you take the time to look at the PLS system as well. It's all good, but have a look while you're there.

Darryl Messer
02-17-2008, 9:03 AM
What is a PLS machine?

Darryl Messer
02-17-2008, 9:15 AM
i went to universal website and looked, I talked to the Universal rep about the Blue PLS machines and was told that the M-360 is the exact same laser components inside in a differant case outside. The PLS has more modern software driver but it was the same machine, Is this true?

Scott Shepherd
02-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Somewhat true. It's the more advanced software part you might be interested in. That's why I recommend looking at it. I know people who do the same jobs over and over and they have little or no use for the advanced features. However, I do a lot of different work, seldom ever the same thing twice, so those advanced features how a lot of value to me.

Just make sure you understand the differences of any machines and that those differences fit into your business model.

Robert Ray
02-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Do the Universal machines allow you to move the nozzle by hand to the starting position, and press start to engrave from that point, or do they always go to home position first? I got spoiled by this super time saving, and material saving feature available on the Laser Pro systems, and would hate to live without it.

But I really want the .0015" cutting kerf that so far only the Universal high density optics can offer, as well as 60 watts of power for such a great price.

I have been using a 1.5" lens with a 35 watt Laser Pro system the past 5 years, and although the depth of focus is very small, I can cut some very fine precision cuts in 1/32" and 1/64" plywood, which is mostly what I use.

After reading about Universal's high density focusing optics, I think it's depth of focus is about the same as you get with a normal 1.5" lens, so this might be the upgrade path I need.

Zvi Grinberg
02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Do the Universal machines allow you to move the nozzle by hand to the starting position, and press start to engrave from that point, or do they always go to home position first? I got spoiled by this super time saving, and material saving feature available on the Laser Pro systems, and would hate to live without it.

Ypu'll have to live with other great features but you'll soon enough be so spoiled, you'll never look back

The ULS does not allow you to move the carriage by hand. However you can move it with your mouse, or from the great interface and take advantage of the red dot pointer.
However, when you do start the job, it will home, and will use the table in absolute mode.

HOWEVER
The new Universal Contol Panel ("the interface") now allows you to move the geometry over the field. Suppose you wand to move something from 0,0 to a clean place on the material. You now have an option to move the geometry to that place. If you want to make sure you know the coordinates, you can either use the ruler (visibly) or bring the red dot (using the mouse or keyboard) to that erea and read the coordinates.

IMHO it's even cooler than what you're used to

Scott Shepherd
02-17-2008, 1:02 PM
The ULS has some very cool features, but I'm not sure which one's are available on the M-series, that's why I mentioned comparing the two models when you look at them and making sure you understand the differences.

Zvi Grinberg
02-17-2008, 1:06 PM
You're right.
I as referring to the PLS series

Mike Mackenzie
02-18-2008, 5:34 PM
Darryl,

The real difference between these two systems are the Electronics, The software drivers, the color and the cart.

The electronics were changed in order to comply with the European ROHS compliance. If you do not know what this means any electronics that are shipped into Europe or other countries must have no lead or solder on the pc boards. This requirement went into effect in June 06 or some ware around that time.

Here is some info http://www.rohs.gov.uk/

Because ULS has offices in Europe it was necessary to comply.

That also invoked the software driver change this change will have very nice future potential with what they can do in regards to the software.

The other changes were cosmetic changes. So yes both systems work the same and both use common parts.

Unfortunately right now you will not be able to use the newest software drivers with the M360,V460,x660 models.