PDA

View Full Version : Black Ash Burl-Has anyone been solicited?

Harvey Mushman
02-16-2008, 3:38 PM
I have had several e-mail solicitations from a fellow by the name of Travis Nelson ( aka Trapper Nelson). He is offering me Black Ash burl. I've asked for photos, but something doesn't seem right. Has anybody here had any dealings with him? I won't usually buy anything from anybody on the internet without me making the initial contact. Proceed with caution is the order of the day.

Semper Fi

robert hainstock
02-16-2008, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the warning. Sign me Swabby.:):):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2008, 8:15 PM
If they don't answer my response e-mails and send pic's I do not buy.

George Guadiane
03-21-2008, 3:21 PM
I got similar information from this guy, he has since provided the following:

"Hello,

The burl will be coming from Minnesota. The price is $6.00 per lb for the frost crack free pieces, and $5.00 per lb. for the pieces with frost cracks. Possible price reduction in bulk orders (500 lbs. and up)pending on supply. Please e-mail us with your phone number if interested to know exactly what you are looking for. We also have more pieces in stock besides the pics sent. Hope to hear from you and please let us know the best time to contact you. Thanks again Tim"

SO FAR, Minnesota appears to be Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) free
Probably on the up and up, too expensive for me.
If you are interested, contact me and I will pass along the email address
George

Curt Norman
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi --- This is Curt Norman from Omaha and I bought one Burl from Travis Nelson in Minnesota just to try it. It was OK and I made two bowls from it. The piece was about 12" square and the total price with shipping was about $90.00. I really wanted to turn a Hollow Form vase with it but it just was not quite right for that. The grain in the wood was nice. I can buy Big Leaf Maple burl from a guy in Oregon for about half the price and have real good luck with it.
Curt