PDA

View Full Version : Turning Pine: Messy. Smelly.

Ben Gastfriend
02-16-2008, 3:10 PM
Found a bunch of this pine in the neighbor's trash. Used to be stairs. Cut it up, chucked it up, and made a nice dish. Put the homemade hollowing tool to good use undercutting the rim. The pine has some nice color and figure. Shear scraping took care of the tearout.

But it's only about 1 1/2 thick. I'm thinking about using Bob Hamilton's backwards coring technique found on his website to get a thicker bowl out of the stock.

mike fuson
02-16-2008, 3:56 PM
Looks to me like you took the neighbors trash and made something very nice from it. Keep up the good work.

robert hainstock
02-16-2008, 5:08 PM
Since you didn't list the Diameter, I'll say it looks like a coaster to me. Never tried pine, It just never occured to me. Nice piece. Frisbee maybe?:)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-16-2008, 5:39 PM
It's about 7 1/2"x1 1/2", Bob.

Bill Bolen
02-16-2008, 9:28 PM
Ben, thats one of the nicest stairs I've seen here! Nice pic too...Bill...

Jim Underwood
02-16-2008, 11:06 PM
So ya' liked that pine pitch did ya?:D

I used to run the finishing end of a flooring mill (I set up the moulders and did QC) and occasionally we'd have a run of pine. At the end of it, I'd have to pull out big cakes of yellow pitch soaked sawdust from all the heads. It was a gummy mess!:eek: I didn't mind the smell so much though. It sure beats red oak which smells like cat poo...

Ya did good on this. Be sure and show us the expanded version when you get around to it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Great looking bowl Ben.

Richard Madison
02-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Gotta love free lumber. Some "pine practice" attached if it is the right picture. All freebee SYP construction lumber from scrap at building sites.

Randy Johnson
02-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey, if you want to get away from the pitch problem you just have to let it age a little longer.
Currently I'm in the process of making ten or twelve forms from timbers salvaged from the elevator shaft of a six story building that was originally a furniture factory.
Originally in this case was the 1880s. Most of the nails I've pulled out are wrought iron. There are some cracks, but they have probably been there for over 100 years. The stuff smells great but it is completly free of anything resembleing pitch.
When finished they will be donated to the organization that owns (my personal view is got stuck with) the building for a fund rasing auction.

Tom Sherman
02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks good Ben, I've use some pine for practice with a skew but that's about it Yours looks great.

Ben Gastfriend
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I must comment on that pine vase! Cool! And I like the Longworth chuck in the background. And, is that a turned soda can holder?

Richard Madison
02-17-2008, 9:33 PM
Thanks Ben. The vase is about 15-1/2" x 25" tall, and was shown at SWAT in '06. The message it was intended to convey was that one can do some fun woodturning things without having to take out a loan to buy expensive wood. It has since been stained, lacquered, and sits in the livingroom where it contains a bunch of decorative stuff. The beer, oops, soda can holder is just foam, included in the picture to give some idea of scale.

Ben Gastfriend
02-18-2008, 6:01 PM
Aww, darn. Sure woulda been cool if it was wood. Ooooh! That gives me an ideeer!