PDA

View Full Version : new unisaw - only long fence?

John Piwaron
03-10-2004, 11:36 AM
I've looked on Amazon and on the Delta website for my answer, but don't see it.

Can a 3hp Unisaw be bought with a short fence? That is, a 30" or so travel to the right of the blade. In my hobby shop, this is needed because I simply don't have room for a fence any longer. Maybe someday I will, but today is not that day.

Bill Karow
03-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Can a 3hp Unisaw be bought with a short fence?

Yes, it can. Look on Delta's site for model 36-831A or 36-831LA (Biesemeyer, one's left tilt and one's right tilt). They also have a model with a 30" Unifence, but I didn't jot down the model number for it. Click on Unisaw on their homepage.

John Piwaron
03-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the model numbers.

Next question. I see the saw weighs around 450lbs. By way of comparison, how much does a refrigerator weigh? I'm thinking of the 24 cu. ft. top freezer kind.

The reason is bringing it into my shop via being strapped to a dolly. I'm wondering if this is doable.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-10-2004, 12:56 PM
A lot less. You could probably pick up a fridge by yourself if you could get a handle on it.

John Piwaron
03-10-2004, 1:22 PM
A lot less. You could probably pick up a fridge by yourself if you could get a handle on it.

Kinda bulky.

Has anyone brought a unisaw into a basement via a dolly? I remember doing a DJ-20 in crate. That weren't no fun, but didn't use any kind of dolly. That jointer weighs about has much as the unisaw, I'm simply starting to consider my options for moving one around.

Dan Stuewe
03-10-2004, 1:45 PM
FYI, according to this web site, thier $40 dolly will handle 600 lbs...

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1155.html

(no affiliation...)

Byron Trantham
03-10-2004, 2:38 PM
I moved mine to a basement. I removed the cast iron wings (NOT the top) and the motor. At that point, me an one other guy were able to handle it. The motor isn't a big deal to remove. Open the switch cover, locate the three wires from the motor, write down which color went where, release the tensioning nut so the tension is off the belts, remove a clip that holds the mounting (pivot) rod, HOLD the motor and pull the pin. With these three things removed it becomes manageable.

Once it's downstairs reverse the order.

Good luck.

Mac McAtee
03-10-2004, 2:50 PM
Whole lot easier to remove and install the motor if you turn the whole thing upside down. Then you got gravity working with you rather than against.

JayStPeter
03-10-2004, 5:57 PM
If you leave the wings off, and the motor on (but supported like delivered) it is doable with a dolly. You will need a fairly strong helper. My dolly has pneumatic tires to absorb some of the impact from the stairs (still less than $40 from Lowes). Then strap the machine on top and bottom and go. I moved both my fully assembled 8" Grizzly jointer and my Unisaw down my 7' wide stairs to the basement this way. I would've had to dissassemble the jointer if I didn't have the wide stairs, but the Unisaw was pretty easy. It's a little scary to be the downstairs guy who keeps the machine going one step at a time and steady.
If you need to move it yourself, the motor and top can come off, then it's pretty light. If you take of the top, you're supposed to look for shim washers and mark where they came from, but mine had none.

Jay

Ed Falis
03-10-2004, 6:03 PM
My attitude when I had to bring one down through the bulkhead into the basement was that I was going to have to adjust it anyway, so I took off the table top and removed the motor. Just make sure if you do take the top off that you note where any shims might be around the bolts and replace them.

After doing that, my wife and I got it down very easily, and it was no hassle getting it on the base afterwards.

Followed the same procedure when we moved a few months later. (Neglected to think I'd have to redo the zero clearance inserts, though ;-) )

- Ed