PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Dust Collection

Doug Cowan
03-06-2003, 2:52 PM
Within the next year I hope to build a cyclone dust collector. But until that time I am in the market for an inexpensive single machine dust collector (table saw and router table mostly). The plan is to use this machine until the cyclone is up and running, then sell it. The least expensive units I have found are a 1 hp Rand unit w/ 5 micron bags for about $150 w/ shipping on Ebay, and the Grizzly G8027 1 hp w/ .3 micron bags for about $211 w/ shipping. I would appreciate any feedback on these two machines and any others I may have overlooked. Thanks.

Dave Avery
03-06-2003, 5:44 PM
Doug,

I have the Penn State DC1B-XL with 5 micron bags.... about $220 plus shipping. I like it very much. Your resale on the Penn State will likely be a little better than the 2 brands you mention. Dave.

Simon St.Laurent
03-06-2003, 9:54 PM
Last week I bought Woodcraft's generic little $169 one-bag dust collector (129594) for my planer. It lives on the bottom of the planer stand so it moves with the machine, and is hooked up only to the planer. It's done very well so far, though it's nothing special.

I'm planning to get a cyclone someday, but using this machine without dust collection wasn't much fun, and the cyclone and piping are probably a few years off for now. Everything else still runs on a shop-vac and 2" clear plastic pipe.

Jim Shockey
03-07-2003, 6:16 AM
As long as you are going to build your cyclone in the next year, why don't you get the bigger dust collector now and use the motor and blower for the new dc when you get ready. The Grizzly 1029 is an excellent dc with a good motor and blower. Good luck with whatever you do. Jim Shockey

Jim Shockey
03-07-2003, 7:47 AM
As long as you are going to build your cyclone in the next year, why don't you get the bigger dust collector now and use the motor and blower for the new dc when you get ready. The Grizzly 1029 is an excellent dc with a good motor and blower. Good luck with whatever you do. Jim Shockey

Scott Coffelt
03-07-2003, 11:24 AM
I am in the process of building a cyclone using one of Terry H's kits. I have the Delta 1 1/2Hp unit. Most likely even with efficient piping it will not be big enough to work with the cyclone. I would suggest at least the Jet 2Hp or 3HP. Take a look a Terry's site, I believe he has done some testing on different units with the same cyclone, you would be surprised how bad some of these work with a cyclone. Unless you plan on buying an Onieda or Wood Sucker, plan now you will be more happy in the long run. These units all take about the same space as a cyclone with filters or bags, so go ahead. Unless you build your fan unit, you will need a larger motor and impeller than most mid size units come with. You don't have to put in all of the ducting now, you can use a hose to reach each machine until you have the ducting done. Just my 2 cents.