PDA

View Full Version : Delta Rockwell 14"

Brian Kent
02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I saw an old Delta Rockwell 14" bandsaw today:

Open Stand
Needs belt, table, wheel cover "a plug end"?
The seller says it is good for parts.

$40

I have been saving for a Grizzley 513x2, so this is a pretty different animal. What do you think? Is it worth it to buy, fix up, and re-sell? Or I could keep it with a narrow blade set-up for curve-cuts and keep saving for the 17" Grizz for re-saw.

Any quick opinions?

David Stonner
02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I'd snag it, especially at that price. Make sure it can actually be fixed up to a working condition (i.e. no cracked castings, bent parts, etc.). The belt is a minimal cost, and might have to replace a couple of bearings but they are reasonably inexpensive. Does it include a motor? If the motor is in good shape, you could junk the saw, keep the motor and still be ahead of the game. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the wheel cover (unsafe, I know but you could rig something up out of ply to protect yourself). I have a rockwell 14" and I'm planning on getting a grizzly 19" bandsaw within the year and keeping the 14" for small blades and curves and using the big saw for straight cuts/resawing only. I'd jump on the chance.

Dave

Joe Chritz
02-16-2008, 4:24 PM
I am with Dave. If the motor runs then it is worth $40 for that alone. Plus scrap price if you decide to part out the rest.

It is probably similar to the saw I have and is a decent piece if it runs true.

Joe

Brian Kent
02-16-2008, 5:12 PM
I e-mailed the guy selling the saw and am waiting a return e-mail or call. If he responds, I'll let y'all know.