PDA

View Full Version : Question about PM 3520B

Jon Farley
02-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I just picked up/assembled my new Powermatic 3520B last night (I know...stealth gloat), but I'm not sure what to make of the power inverter box on the back of the lathe. I know it controls the variable speed, but it is not mentioned at all in the instruction manual. It has a min/max control, a run button and a stop/reset button. Do I ever need do anything with these controls?

Jon

Larry Marley
02-16-2008, 12:18 PM
No Pictures?

controls in back not used.
not to worry,
plug in, have fun, lucky dog!

Awesome lathe!
Yea!

Clem Wixted
02-16-2008, 12:28 PM
... stop/reset button. Do I ever need do anything with these controls?

Jon

Jon,

I have a 3520A and one time I had to push the reset button when the lathe wouldn't run. After the electric company power went off and on a few times in quick succession the reset button popped. I pushed it in and everything is normal. That was about a year ago.

Clem

Reed Gray
02-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Nothing is said about it in the manuals because they don't want you messing with it. It controls the timing on the electronic breaking feature. You may also be able to control the speeds with it, but I am not sure. On my 3520A model, I called them and they walked me through setting the break from 5 seconds to 8 seconds. I called again and had it set back to 5 seconds. Now that it is at 5 seconds, I have found that if I use the speed control to slow down from full speed to slower, it will trip the reset button. Since I frequently turn at higher speeds, this is a pain some times. I need to get it reset to a longer break time. I have tripped the reset button a few times while turning, but not often. Mostly on catches while coring where the wood stops, but the lathe still keeps on spinning, and the belt squeels. Most of the time, I work it loose, and it keeps on going. Don't worry about it. One difference between the A and B models is that the B model stops turning at about 50 rpm. My A model, I can get down to 10 rpm or so. This comes in handy for sanding warped bowls.
robo hippy

robert hainstock
02-16-2008, 1:01 PM
I do not own one and have never seen one but as an old electrician I will bet that if it came that way out of the box it should be ready to run. Just make sure you've read and understood the instructions. :eek::eek:
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2008, 2:34 PM
Jon - Congrats on your new lathe! The box has already been programmed at the factory and other than the reset button you shouldn't have to ever think about it again. Have fun with the new lathe and be sure to post some pictures!

George Morris
02-16-2008, 8:37 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. What they said. Also check out the mustard monster web site ,you can find it on AAW forum site .There is a lot of great info. there.. Good luck!!

Rich Souchek
02-17-2008, 6:46 PM
On the PM3520B, the VFD box on the back shouldn't be messed with, everything most turners need is on the front controls. On/off & speed adjustment.
Rich S.