PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Varible Speed Conversion.

Kevin Cole
02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I have been thinking about converting my delta/rockwell lathe over to VS. I currently have an old crappy 1/2HP motor with a 4 step pulley. Is there a limit to the size of motor I upgrade to? I found one guy with a 2HP 3-phase motor for 50 bucks. How much more money would it roughly cost me if I were to make the rest? I know a few electricians would would probably be able to help me wire it if I had the Diagram. So if anyone has the step to doing this conversion it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Christopher Hunter
02-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I just upgraded my grizzly lathe to a vfd.
I bought a 2hp 3 phase 230v motor for $300 and bought a 5hp vfd off of e-bay for 250. the hardest part was making a side shelf for the motor to sit on but with the help of some metal working friends that part was done in about a week. as far as the wiring it was easy. follow the diagram in the motor electrical box and run that to the vfd then get the instructions for the VFD and make sure all of the Vfd settings are correct FOR THAT MOTOR and then run the vfd wire out to the 230V outlet and you done.
It only took a few hours to do all the work..
One of the things I ran into was getting the right pulleys to mount onto the Headstock shaft of my lathe, Cause I pulled off the Reeves drive altogether, but you may not have to do that to yours ..
Good Luck
--Chris

Jim Becker
02-16-2008, 1:00 PM
The majority of the higher end lathes that feature VFD control have 2 hp motors, so I think that's the right way to go. The VFD for your project can cost anywhere between "not very much" and "too much" depending on where you buy it. There have been a number of suggestions for sources in the past in this forum...suggest an Advanced Search on "variable" keyed to just the turning forum to find prior discussion.

Rich Souchek
02-16-2008, 1:54 PM
The 2 hp will work nice and the price is right.
Check out automationdirect and look at their ac drives, 2 hp units.
I didi this about a year and a half ago and it worked good. I left in a two step pully to get some real low bowl speeds tht would still have good torque.
Rich s.

John Gornall
02-17-2008, 12:28 AM
How significant is getting an "Inverter duty" motor as opposed to any other 3 phase motor?

Dennis Ford
02-17-2008, 8:16 AM
The "inverter duty" motor will have a maximum speed rating, so you will know how fast it can run without damage. It will also have better cooling for low speed operation. An ordinary 3 phase motor should last for years on a wood lathe, if you were using the motor 24/7, you would want the best available!
:o

John Gornall
02-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Dennis,

Thank you

Rich Souchek
02-17-2008, 7:17 PM
Kevin,
Try reading this older thread.... :D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=728147#poststop

Rich S.