PDA

View Full Version : HTC Mobile Base

Don Abele
02-16-2008, 9:51 AM
Because the Grizzly Jointer / Planer is so new, there isn't a dedicated base currently available. I have HTC-2000 universal bases under all the rest of my tools (except my table saws which have dedicated JET/HTC bases). For the combo it would need the 3000 do to weight.

Just out of curiosity I wrote HTC about having a base made. Now you should sit down if you aren't already (and stop drinking coffee)...

$408.99 plus shipping!!! :eek:

Holy cow batman, that's ridiculous. Oh, and 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Well, if I wind up purchasing the combo, I'll go for the 3000 (for $90). If it winds up too flexible, I'll just weld my own using the parts from the 3000.

Be well,

Doc

Michael Weber
02-16-2008, 12:22 PM
WOW is right. One offs are always like that. Mass production does have its benefits. ;)

Jim Becker
02-16-2008, 1:25 PM
Don, my friend...don't you have anyone on your staff or in your extended military "family" who can weld and might like a side job? The materials to make a welded base are minimal in cost...it's the assembly than needs done. Think about it...

Don Abele
02-16-2008, 8:10 PM
Jim, that's the rub - I've got a MIG welder, a plasma torch, and lots of metal. I was trained by personnel the Navy trained to weld nuclear reactors. What I'm short on is time. Sometimes I have to buy things that I know I could build just because of the time it would take to build.

This is why I bought the HTC universal bases in the first place. My last move was short fused and I realized I had to load all my tools onto my trailer by myself. I needed them mobile, and like yesterday. So a mass order to HTC and I was set.

I'm coming up on my three year mark here, which (to the military) means time to move. We'll be putting our house on this terrible market within a few months and have a lot left to do, including finishing the kitchen remodel.

Be well,

Doc