PDA

View Full Version : Small Routers

gary Zimmel
02-16-2008, 9:04 AM
I am in the market for a router to take careof small jobs and am looking for comments on what kinds and models are used by fellow Creekers.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bruce Gray
02-16-2008, 9:19 AM
I use laminate trimmers to take of 90% of my handheld router work. I have two: a Freud (model number forgotten) and a Bosch Colt. Both do the job, but the Bosch is a little more ergonomic.

Bruce

tim mathis
02-16-2008, 9:30 AM
i have a bosch colt vs , i have used it alot and have not had any problems.

Mark Singer
02-16-2008, 9:34 AM
The Bosch colt is very good!

Peter Quinn
02-16-2008, 9:58 AM
I have the bosch colt, strong little bugger, very ergronomic, variable speed is nice feature on a laminate trimmer. Lots of well designed attachments too. Its powerful enough I find my self reaching for it more and more.

Have used the PC 7310, kind of akward and unstable in my opinion. Have also used the PC 0310, hight adjustment gets a little finicky with age but the motor is super strong and its very comfortable to use, kind of over kill in a home shop, meant more for constant production use. Nice tool if its in the budget.

Steve Clardy
02-16-2008, 10:05 AM
PC 7310's here. Very reliable

Bill Huber
02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I have the Bosch Colt VS and am very happy with it. I use it for just about all my hand routing, round overs and that type of thing. I do use my big router for dados but the rest of the time it is in the table and I just use the Colt.
I did get the base that will take PC router bushings which is really nice to have for like $10.

glenn bradley
02-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I am in the market for a router to take careof small jobs and am looking for comments on what kinds and models are used by fellow Creekers.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

How small is small? My Milwaukee 5615 is my favorite free hand edging router. My Colt is my favorite for many things but is not a replacement.

gary Zimmel
02-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Was thinking the size of the colt.

It seems to have an option of variable speed.
Would this be a good option?

Brad Noble
02-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I have one and love it. Also bought the plate offered by Pat Warner for it and just love that too. They make a nice pair, IMHO.

Brad

Steve Rozmiarek
02-16-2008, 2:49 PM
Been thinking about adding the Colt to the stable, you guys are instigators!

John Callahan
02-17-2008, 8:40 AM
I have a couple of Porter Cables .......... the Model 310 laminate trimmer and the Model 100 router. Both are workhorses and have been around for ages; iirc the Model 100 had been in production in one form or another for almost five decades. Both have recently been discontinued- there is NOS still around for both models. They'd still be my first choice.

Tom Klass
02-17-2008, 9:54 AM
I use the dewalt laminate trimmer have the complete kit for doing kitchens. but use the unit more for rounding the edges on the furniture I make or the plaques. It's a real work horse and not fatiging to your arm and hand.

glenn bradley
02-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Was thinking the size of the colt.

It seems to have an option of variable speed.
Would this be a good option?

I love my Colt. Definitly go VS. If I was doing production work and was going to run the thing till it got too hot to hold every day, I would look at the PC310. If it is for your home shop I can't say enough good about the Colt but, use two wrenches, it's easier on the fingers than the arbor lock IMHO.

Brian Dormer
02-17-2008, 2:30 PM
Bosch Colt VS.

Matt P
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm confused about using a Bosch Colt for template and hinge mortising.. there seem to be all sorts of different bases and template adapters.. Someone has also said that it doesn't use 1-3/16" guide bushings. Is that important?? help! Isn't there a total kit that includes everything?

Matt P
02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Do I need Pat Warner's bases if I get the full kit from Amazon??
Bosch PR20EVSNK Colt Installers Kit 5.7 Amp 1 Horsepower Fixed Base Variable Speed Router with 4 Assorted Bases and Edge Guide

Tx,
Matt