PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone drilled a cast iron TS top?

John Keeton
02-16-2008, 8:24 AM
Thinking of mounting a Triton router to my Griz 1023SLW, but figure I will need an access hole for the height adjustment. Has anyone attempted this? What kind of bit?

David Tiell
02-16-2008, 8:30 AM
I haven't drilled throught from the top down, but have had to drill into the sides to be able to mount my bies fence rails. It's actually pretty easy. You just need a good sharp twist drill bit. Go slow and back it out every so often and you should be fine.

Tim Malyszko
02-16-2008, 8:50 AM
I've drilled my cast iron bandsaw top using a twist bit and it was fairly easy, even with a semi-dull bit. If I had my Drill Doctor by then, I would have sharpened the bit first.

Good luck.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-16-2008, 8:55 AM
I would also like to add that cast iron taps threads pretty easy too.
-Jeff :)

Jim Davenport
02-16-2008, 8:58 AM
You don't need to use any oil. Cast iron has carbon in the alloy, and is drilled dry. Also tapped dry.

John Keeton
02-16-2008, 9:07 AM
Thanks guys! I will need to bite the bullet and buy the router now. Looking forward to working on some router fence design to make this project fully functional.

Joe Chritz
02-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Cast iron is pretty well self lubricating as mentioned. I have found that a shot of WD-40 helps when tapping or drilling, especially if the bit is getting a bit dull.

Any regular twist drill will work just fine. Use a center punch and center drill if the hold location is important. The center drill can be switched for a smaller drill to start a nice divot before using the full size bit. Large bits tend to walk around on metal.

Joe

glenn bradley
02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Thinking of mounting a Triton router to my Griz 1023SLW, but figure I will need an access hole for the height adjustment. Has anyone attempted this? What kind of bit?

You've got your answer. Don't be like me; I hemmed and hawed for 2 weeks before I drilled to add additional CI wings despite everyone telling me it was easy. After the first hole I felt foolish for not starting sooner.

The same is true for folks I see having a tough time of adapting fences. I would use the rail holes when possible and drill the CI.

Chris Barnett
02-16-2008, 12:02 PM
CI is very soft compared to steel so if you thread, might want to practice first since it acts differently, and particularly if you have not cut threads before.