PDA

View Full Version : Delta drill press 20-950 review

Daniel Shnitka
02-16-2008, 2:32 AM
Picke my new Delta 20 950 Variable speed drill press yesterday. Well lets correct that the term picked up.
Three grown men manhandled the castiron head and motor unit into the back of the pick up truck. Next came the base and shaft.
The manual says get help when assembling the unit. I say get lots of help.
Before it left the retail shop I did a number of things. (if you read them in the frame of mind as being helpful good advice that is how they are intended. I have little or no loyality to a particular brand or company. I just don'y like running back and forth to the retail, mail order, big box outlet or purveyor over the internet with problems that should not have reached the customer.
The steps I took:
Gathered up as many of the measuring tools as I could think of;

Used the certified straight edge (the one meter unit less than 3 ten thousands on it entire length. Anyway measured the table for flatness. Absolutely dead flat corner to corner front to back and across the width.
Set up the dial indicator for run out on the drill bit that was chucked into the unit. Then proceeded to hand turn the chuck holding the drill bit. Run out was a respectable 2 one thousands of an inch.
Measured the trueness of the bit to being 90 degree to the table, just perfect
Turned on the machine, listened for noise. It expressed it in a louder volume then the cheap $50- $60 Canadian Tire unit given to me by my friend. That unit from Canadian Tire had the habit of loosing its chuck parts as they literally fell out. The noise volume may deminish with use. The use ear protection would be recommended
With the machine running I stood a penny on edge, it vibtrated but did no fall over.
Compared the other drill presses brands on the floor for noise. One was better, two the same and one was terrible it sounded like a marble rattling around in a tin can.In conclusion: It met or exceeded my expectations. The noise and lack of smoothness should be overcome before it reaches the the display floor.
I suspect the the machine will settle down after a few dozen hours of use.
Fit and finish were good to very good. The cast iron table and coverered top had the best fit and finish. The motor could have been a Total Enclosed, Fan Cooled it was not with heat venting ribs, it was classic black. The On/Off switch was big and accessable. By the way the under side of the cast iron base is well ribbed. Fortunately the custom mobile base I designed and built though I am not skilled enough to weld.
I will replace the keyed Jacobs chuck with a keyless chuck.
I may add an after market laser cross hair centering unit.
I do have question. How does one measure run out under load?

the welding

Eddie Darby
02-16-2008, 3:13 PM
Thanks for the review. Was the big gap in your post due to pics not loading?