PDA

View Full Version : Logs from heaven

Brian Brown
02-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Well, not exactly heaven, but clear accross the country anyway. When I first started turning, I couldn't get any wood. Now, it seems to find me. At Christmas time, a friend of my wife was visiting from Baltimore. She came out to the shop while I was turning some Chirstmas ornaments, and she was completely captivated by the process. A few weeks later, she came out again for a funeral, and I got a call early one morning from her. She told me she got me some wood from a neighbors storm killed walnut tree, and would bring some over to me. I knew she flew out here, and asked how she btrought it on a plane. She said she stuffed in in her luggage. I would like to have seen the look on the TSA agents face when they x-rayed that luggage! It's a bit small in diameter, so I am not sure what to make with it, but I have to send her something for the wood. Anybody have any ideas for logs no bigger than 7" diameter. No pics yet, because it just arrived a few minutes ago (it bounces around between family members and friends finding it's way here).

Tom Sherman
02-15-2008, 11:57 PM
You could make a nice sized box or even a toothpick holder with wood that size. Congrats on the gloat Brian.

Brian Brown
02-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Did I mention that this stuff is very wet? For a toothpick holder, or salt and pepper shakers, would you rough turn and dry like you would for bowls? Also, how does walnut react during drying if it is turned with the pith in. I would probably fill any cracks with epoxy, but I will be sending it from the arid desert of Idaho, to a much more humid Baltimore.

Tom Sherman
02-16-2008, 12:26 AM
You could rough turn it using the 10% rule then give it a bath in DNA. After a couple of months finish turn it and it should be fine.

ryan kelley
02-16-2008, 2:01 AM
Maybe you could turn an end grain vase. Possibly try soaking it in detergent and water(50/50) after you rough it out. I haven't tried it on anything but NIP, let us know if that works.

robert hainstock
02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
A few years ago I got to raid my uncles wood pile, (Yep, he was burning it). I made some candle holders, Oil lamps, weed pots, etc Think verticle if the pieces are at lest 5" long. Oil lamps and some of the thiongs already listed. Walnut turn very well dry. So waiting could work. :)
Bob