PDA

View Full Version : NJ wookworking show this weekend

jason lambert
02-15-2008, 9:28 PM
I went to the NJ woodworking show today in Somerset. After several less than stellar reviews of these shows lately I have to say i was pleasantly surprised. I spent all day Friday there and will probably go back tomorrow. Almost every major manufacture was represented some how and learned a ton at the free seminars. Also walked out about $700 poorer but got a ton of misc stuff I had been looking for like grr-grippers drill press table, router jig, drill set, festools stuff, all show specials.

Prashun Patel
02-15-2008, 9:43 PM
Thanks for this post! I didn't even realize the show was this weekend. The exhibition is about 10 mins fm my home. I just secured a babysitter (LOML) for tomorrow and you cn guess where I'm gonna be...

Quesne Ouaques
02-15-2008, 9:55 PM
On my way up tomorrow! I'm glad to hear the positive review. I already had my tickets, but it's nice to hear you felt it was worthwhile. I am going to see the Veritas planes up close and personal. I'm thinking of investing in a few.

John Terefenko
02-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Boy the ads on this site has really slowed my site down tremendously. Be replying less and less here for sure.

Anyway went to the show also and spent about 5 hours there and no I will not be going back this weekend. I too spent about $800 on some things I was thinking about getting in past years. I did not feel the tool companies did themselves justice. They had a better set-up last year where you were able to buy directly from that company. This year they reverted back to their old ways where everything gets bought through AW Meyers. So there is a mark-up there. Don't let them kid you. Just check on line and you can do better. Last year you dealt with the company themselves and they brought the kitchen sink. Each manufactorer did. This year the tools were limited to the easy to set up tools and portable tools again. I did like that Craft Supplies USA had lathes set up and let anyone that wanted to turn pens. Hands on great idea. It was a nice show and I will always go back just because I am a tool junkie.

jason lambert
02-16-2008, 9:41 AM
Really i saw the paoermatic drill press for a show special of 750 and bunchof other deals. But I will aggree I was not really price shopping for machines. It was nice though to see some things up close that I normally only see in a catalog.

Curt Harms
02-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Really i saw the paoermatic drill press for a show special of 750 and bunchof other deals. But I will aggree I was not really price shopping for machines. It was nice though to see some things up close that I normally only see in a catalog.

I think that is the major reason to go to these shows, to "touch and feel" stuff not stocked at the borgs. I think Grizzly is missing a bet on these, it gives people an opportunity to see Grizzly machines up close. They used to do the show in Ft. Washington PA. but perhaps they felt it didn't pay. A lot of people won't buy sight unseen and I don't really blame them. I went Friday, it was sorta on my way home. I used to really enjoy these but I'm pretty well "gadgeted up" so just bought a few router bits.

Curt

Jim Becker
02-16-2008, 1:18 PM
Boy the ads on this site has really slowed my site down tremendously. Be replying less and less here for sure.

{digression from the thread}

You have control over that, John. With a simple $6 annual donation to SMC, you will not see the ads. But more importantly, you'll have access to a number of new features soon to be made available only to contributors.

{end digression from the thread}

Relative to the show, I had originally intended to attend, but have business activities that will keep me away. I'm sad about missing it, but mostly because there were are few people I wanted to hook up with, including a friend and former co-worker whom I have not seen in some time. Such is life....

Jeffrey Makiel
02-16-2008, 4:21 PM
Jim...I ran a sophisticated analytical program to perform an iterative numerical loop, and found out that it's only 50 cents per month.

I'm too lazy to go to the show. It's only 1/2 hour from my house, but I still have disappointing memories from previous shows. If it was 10 minutes...

-Jeff :)

Prashun Patel
02-16-2008, 9:22 PM
I wasn't impressed.
Got a buttload of dc fittings and jig/fence hardware. But there aren't really many good tool deals there.

Further, the major tool mfgs (Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, etc) didn't showcase any new products. They just kinda had tents of everything for sale. I woulda liked to see demos of Dewalt's plunge saw (even if not avail in the us) or the Nano stuff.

Woulda loved to see EZone, Grizzly there.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Festools stuff, all show specials.

They don't so show discounts. At least that's what they told me. Have they changed?

Fred Voorhees
02-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Didn't get a chance to head out to the show as was planned. Just had to much to do around the house. Cleaned up a ton of fallen branches from the yard, cleaned up the bar room for the seasons first NASCAR race and the first visit of the year of the "racing gang". Also, I was once again a part of a racing roundtable of long time racing fans and experts that provided looks back at the history of the local dirt racing in the area at an annual firehouse fund raiser Daytona 500 weekend party. Great fun, but it was a full day even without the woodworking show.

John Terefenko
02-17-2008, 8:36 AM
Wonder if anyone has said boy sure glad they run those adds I can use that. That would be an interesting poll. :) I really don't care if you run the ads or not. Hope it brings in enough money to keep the site running. It is a good site.

Mitchell Andrus
02-17-2008, 8:40 AM
You're paying for this site with either your eyeballs, or your $6.00. Your choice.

Mitchell Andrus
02-17-2008, 8:42 AM
I can't go...... I can't jam another tool into my shop.

Do they sell larger shops there????

Jeffrey Makiel
02-17-2008, 1:22 PM
Was the new Jet combo J/P there? I hope not. I didn't go.
-Jeff :)

Dave Hale
02-17-2008, 1:59 PM
Yes, it was. I checked it out. If I remember correctly, $1900 if you bought it at the show and the guy offered me an additional 5% off if I could pick it up and cart it away. I'm just still not sure if that's the way I want to go. Grizzly's is real tempting, just waiting for some more reviews until I decide.

Got to meet the owner of PS Wood, she sure knows her stuff. Got a couple of blades for the 14" Rikon, hard to find elsewhere. Set up the 3/4" last night and it cut through 4" maple like butter.

There was a Bessey special, at least I hope it was. 2 12" + 2 24" with 4 blocks for $100. Peachtree was selling their drill-press tables like hot cakes. Got that too. :) I think Jet had a 5 or 10% off of their clamps.

Forrester had the 'old' WWII for around $74. The rest of their prices were the normal prices.

Force Machinery had a Festool/Rockler setup. All Rockler stuff was 10% off. Festool was normal price.

Didn't see Uncle Bob there. :(
I wore my SMC cap, but nobody noticed. :cool:

Like others said, Bosch/Dewalt/PC setups were boxes under a canopy. No touchie, feelie.

jason lambert
02-17-2008, 3:01 PM
I also bought a Peachtree drill press table they are really nice, especally the big one with the extensions and of course the dust collection kit for the drill press. Also got there tune up kit and digital tilt guage. It is really nice to see the stuff being demenstrated instead of just in the catalog. Force Machinery had alot of stuff there but sold out of a ton of stuff by Saturday late, Festool stuff was there but all normal price as you said they never have specials. I fell bad they charge 8% tax there and you can go and just order the stuff over the internet and pay no tax. Wonder how local dealers can compeat with that. To bad they wouldnt loet them discount the tax rate. Also got to make a pen saturday that was fun!!!