PDA

View Full Version : Manual Focus on Digital Camera

Ben Gastfriend
02-15-2008, 9:07 PM
Ok, I've had the camera below for about 4 years now. It's done everthing I've wanted it to do. But now that I've gotten the photo tent set up for photographing turnings, it's performance has been erratic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Can I get the camera to allow me to focus manually? I've worked with 35mm SLR cameras (which have to be manually focused) and darkrooms equipment (enlargers, grain focusers) so I'd say I'm at a moderate skill level.

Here's the camera. The only focusing options I could find are Contiuous Autofocus, Single Autofocus, and Accessory Autofocus. Tried all three, still confused.

KODAK EASYSHARE Z730. Here (http://search.kodak.com/?pq-locale=en_US&global=en&q=Z730)'s the fact sheet for the camera.

Thanks for you input.

Don Robert
02-15-2008, 9:25 PM
According to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_z730.asp this camera does not have manual focus capability. However, it does appear that it has a "macro focus." This is essentially an autofocus for close-ups. That should do what you want. Look in the manual for "macro focus" to see how to set it up for this and the focal ranges. Good luck.

Brian Brown
02-15-2008, 9:37 PM
Ben,

From the spec sheet on this camera, it does not appear that you can manually focus your camera. Try this; put the camera in single focus mode, with center weighted focusing on. Aim the camera so the center of the frame is where you want the camera to focus. Press the shutter release halfway, and hold it for 2 or 3 seconds. Without releasing the shutter release, re-aim the camera to recompose your image. If it is like many other cameras, the focus will stay locked as you move the camera. When your image is recomposed, shoot the image. If you let up on the shutter release too soon, you'll have to start over. It's a pain, but usually works. PHD (push here dummy) cameras do pretty good with most things, but some operations just aren't as smooth. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Bruce Page
02-15-2008, 9:37 PM
Time to upgrade to a DSLR?

Dick Strauss
02-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Ben,
I might be off base here about what erratic means to you...

Often cameras don't focus consistently when light levels are too low. Try boosting your light level and see if your focus improves.

You also might be too close to focus properly with the camera settings. Try macro mode as someone else suggested. Also try backing up a foot and using your zoom lens.

I hope something here helps...

robert hainstock
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I have the same struggle with my diggicam. I'll try your fix, too. :)
Bob

John Gornall
02-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I have a simple digital camera in a fixed position at the ceiling aimed at a table for a specific record keeping function in my business. Sometimes it's focus is erratic because the subject doesn't have enough contrast for the auto focus to work well. In these cases I put a piece of paper at the subject position which has a big black line across it (felt pen). The camera has no problem focussing on this line. Then it's a matter of pushing the shutter button to the first position to focus and hold the focus and while holding the button to the first position removing this paper and pushing the shutter button to the second position to take the picture. Most auto focus cameras have a 2 position shutter button - click focus - click expose.

Dan Forman
02-23-2008, 4:57 AM
Are you shutting down the aperture to give maximum depth of field and using a tripod? When you try Brian's suggestion, make sure you focus on an object at a distance that would place your object in the center of your depth of field for the aperture you are using.

Dan

Don Eddard
02-23-2008, 5:58 AM
I find that when my autofocus doesn't catch, I can move the camera a little, often to the edge of the piece, catch focus on that with a half shutter, then hold that focus wile moving back to frame the shot the way I want. Sometimes you only have to move it a little, to a spalt line for example, then reframe the shot.

And if you've used a film SLR, you owe it to yourself to save up and get a DSLR. You'll never regret it. From what I've seen, your lathe work deserves good pictures. Even the entry level models are excellent cameras, and it's great having complete control when photographing things. Or let it run in full auto like a point-n-shoot when you're just grabbing shapshots.

David Sallee
02-23-2008, 5:28 PM
Maybe you just need to boost your available light? I have a homemade light box with two Home Depot lights... to get this results....

http://www.dsalleephotography.com/images/woodworking/IMG_4041a_net.jpg

http://www.dsalleephotography.com/images/woodworking/IMG_4016a_net.jpg

Although I do have a DSLR, I was having focusing issues with my current lenses. Went and got the Home Depot lights, problem solved.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
02-23-2008, 8:12 PM
Nice work Dave! What material did you use for your lightbox? I have a store bought one that's all white and I really like your black version.

Would you might sharing?

David Sallee
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Nice work Dave! What material did you use for your lightbox? I have a store bought one that's all white and I really like your black version.

Would you might sharing?

It'll cost ya! .... got a router you don't need?? ...... LOL

I'll get a pic of it tomarrow ....., it's basically a box made with foamcore with 2 windows cut in the left and right sides with some tracing paper over the windows.... the windows are for the Home Depot light to shine through to illuminate the inside. The black is actually black felt hanging in the back and draped down to the front and for the "reflection" I put a piece of glass on top of the black felt. Turn the lights on, position the camera to get the reflection you want. The only thing I had to do in photoshop was clone out the barely visible glass line in the back and darken the black more.. (the felt actually reflected some light which lightened the blacks up a bit.) So I had to bring them back down to black to get this look.

BTW, thanks for the comment, This was from a photo shoot for a beading business here in town.

Here's a couple more, one with the white background:

http://www.dsalleephotography.com/images/woodworking/IMG_4006a_net.jpg

http://www.dsalleephotography.com/images/woodworking/IMG_3944b_net.jpg

Thanks again for the comment.

Dave