PDA

View Full Version : Last Evening's Project.

Kurt Aebi
03-10-2004, 7:17 AM
A co-worker of mine is just finishing up his new house and wanted me to make him a shelf like he saw in a magazine. He cut out the picture and brought it to me and asked if I could make something like this 55-1/2" long. Well I did it last night and here it is.

First is the picture he gave me, and the following 2 are the shelf.

Todd Burch
03-10-2004, 8:27 AM
Way yo go Kurt! Last night I was at Rodeo - didn't get nuthin done, but I was thinking about spraying shellac!! I'll live through you next time!

Dick Parr
03-10-2004, 8:36 AM
Very nice Kurt, that is how I make most of my stuff is from pictures. But they are usually in better shape then the one you were provided. :rolleyes:

Eric Naessens
03-10-2004, 5:04 PM
Sharp-looking shelves, Kurt - not too bad for an evening's work :eek: - no way this would have been a one-nighter for me, with my beginning, rudimentary (but developing) skills. Just wondering, are you planning on painting them like in the picture, or applying some other finish?

Tyler Howell
03-10-2004, 5:12 PM
I make my projects like the orig pix. Out of focus, distorted, hard to visualize the concept intended.:rolleyes:
Nice kurt. If you look at my projects maybe you can see what I ment to do.;)

Pat Salter
03-10-2004, 8:47 PM
hmm, it looks like the original had only 3 coat hooks (I'm old and I can't see that well, that's why ALL my projects are beautiful :rolleyes: ) and you put in 8. Obviously the orginal was made for here in So. Ca. where folks don't need as many coats. Other than that....Very Nice!

Martin Shupe
03-10-2004, 9:54 PM
Kurt,

My wife gave me that same picture a week ago. Of course, I have about 10 projects ahead of it in the que, but I am supposed to make one asap.

If I can finally finish the router table, I can move on to more interesting projects. Hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for the inspiration, I'll have to show it to her.

Kurt Aebi
03-11-2004, 7:50 AM
Todd -
Thanks - even though it doesn't even come close to your capabilities, but we can all dream! lol

Dick -
I had the actual picture from the magazine, so it wsa not as blurry as it is on the screen - I tried to use my digital camera as a scanner and took a picture of the picture (I need a scanner!) My coworker's SWMBO wsa very pleased with the outcome (That is what Really mattered, lol)

Eric -
The trick to doing one of these in one evening is having the shop all to yourself (my wife was working late) and having the materials laid out and equipment setup the night before - you know Norm Style! lol

Tyler -
Look at your work Before 3 beers and your's won't look so out of focus, distorted and hard to visualize! lol
Really, though, we all know what good work you do. Just gotta love your sense of humor. It's fun to have you around here at the creek!

Pat -
You and Mark just keep rubbing it in about how nice it is there in sunny California! I gotta visit there sometime. We here in Vermont get to see the sun about the entire monts of July and August (I'm sure Tyler can relate), so we need as many pegs as we can get for coats. The shelves, I'm told, will be used mainly for gloves and scarves (2 more items you guys don't need - but hey Big Bear isn't thatfar away from you guys is it? Maybe you do need a couple! lol) Thanks Pat - it's fun to have you as part of this forum.

Martin -
Are you going to make the bench pictured below to match it? I think if I was doing it for myself that is what I'd have done. Probably wouldn't have made it as ling or with as many pegs either. My coworker had an alcove that he wanted it placed in and wanted enough pegs for his grandkids coats when they are over.

My coworker plans to paint the shelf a colonial green color to match the trim in his "mud" room. He said that having raised 5 kids and now with grandkids, whites and creamy colors are "Just Not An Option" especially for the entry-way.

I am working on some shelves for another coworker for their nursery. His wife will have their first baby next Friday if it doesn't come natural before. These shelves are just regular flat narrow shelves with curved support brackets. They want to have them go around the nursery to put stuffed animals and dolls and things like that. I'll post pictures of them when I am done as well.

Thanks for looking at the project and the feedback, I appreciate it.