PDA

View Full Version : Turning And Sanding Only. Room Size

Les Kuesel
02-15-2008, 6:31 PM
I'm going to partition off my shop and make a turning and sanding only room to help control the wood dust from the rest of my shop. Would a 8X12 be big enough or to small ?. The only things I plan on having in the room are lathe, lathe tools, 3X8 bench to have my belt sander and grinder on, and couple of small storage cabinets and maybe some shelving. Does anyone else have a seperate room for just turning and what size. I also plan on making a finishing only room about the same size. Right now I have an open pole shed and dust all over.

Keith Spaniel
02-15-2008, 7:40 PM
That sounds like a good plan, If you dont have some good venting of the dust ,and some make up air ,you will need to wear a mask all the time. My whole basement shop is about that size. Would like to hear and see how it turns out.Keith

robert hainstock
02-15-2008, 7:47 PM
Tha's about the size of my turning area. (1236 lathe). I separate it from the rest of the shop with a shower vurtain behind the lathe. Watch the dust. :)
Bob

Tom Keen
02-15-2008, 8:54 PM
Mine is 9 X 16', and it works fine. I suggest you make it comfortable.. dust collection is a must. I installed mine with the unit outside of the shop and ran a duct into the shop area. Makes it very quiet and very clean. Find some wall mounted cabinets so you can keep things off the floor.

Tom

Joe Chritz
02-15-2008, 9:03 PM
You could put in some cross ventilation and run it like a spray room. That with some DC you should have a decent set up. The size sounds about right.

Joe