PDA

View Full Version : Unifence or Biesemeyer

Darren Duchi
02-15-2008, 4:32 PM
A freind of mine has just purchased a X-5 Delta cabinet saw and he asked me which Fence would be better the unifence or the Biesemeyer? Since i do not own one i would like to throw this out to all of you who have experience in the differences. I have experience with Bies-clones but not the Uni. Please help.

Larry Fox
02-15-2008, 4:54 PM
No experience with the Unifence but I love the Bies that is on my Uni. Rock solid.

Lance Norris
02-15-2008, 4:54 PM
I have a Unifence and really like it. I like the ability to slide it "fore and aft". This helps for several reasons. When cutting sheet stock, you can slide the fence face back off the infeed end of the table and contact the sheet long before it reaches the blade. When making regular rip cuts, I like to slide the face out past the outfeed end so that I have extra fence out past the blade. This helps me with the last couple of inches to make a true cut, as opposed to a fence that ends at the outfeed rail. I also like the 2 profiles. I usually leave it in the low position so I can keep my hand on the wood and as far away from the blade as possible. The Beismeyer does none of these things. As far as accuracy, they are equals. I vote Unifence.

Frederick Rowe
02-15-2008, 5:19 PM
I've used both, and own a Unisaw with the Unifence. They are both quality fences. Over time I have come to appreciate the tremendous flexibility of the Unifence. It has a high and low side which allows you to hand push through narrow stock impossible on any other fence. It can be slid forward and back which can be helpful when cutting sheet goods and starting the rip is made easier with more of the fence forward of the blade. You can side it completely clear (forward) of the blade to create a "stop block" to register cross cuts made with the miter gauge. With the fence in the high position, any number of jigs can be fastened using toggle clamps. Below are some links to Unifence jigs:

http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Unisaw/UnisawUnifence/unisaw_unifence.html

http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/bigafence.html

. . . plus many postings here in SMC, search on unifence.

Both are great fences, you won't go wrong with either. I'd recommend finding a unifence and actually try it. From photographs it can seem odd or overly complicated. It will need a table below it, but not a rear rail.

Hope this helps.

Darren Duchi
02-15-2008, 5:32 PM
thanks so much for the help guys. Appreciate the quick response.

Greg Heppeard
02-15-2008, 5:43 PM
I'll chime in as a Uni prefered owner...I've used both

glenn bradley
02-15-2008, 5:51 PM
I have the Bies and love it. I would think the versatility of the Unifence would be an asset. That's no help at all, is it?

Vernon Taylor
02-15-2008, 6:08 PM
Another vote for the unifence for it's versatility. I have equipped mine with a uni-t-fence which directly replaces the standard fence,very handy to attach jigs to. That being said I still use the regular fence in it's low position at times. bouight the uni-t fence from Peachstate.

Scott Long
02-15-2008, 6:48 PM
I own a 52" Bies. commercial fence.

The thing is rock solid and accurate.

Jim Becker
02-15-2008, 7:25 PM
Personally...I'd choose the UniFence over the Biesemeyer or clones any time I could. It's more of a Euro design and presents some functional and safety advantages given the fence, itself, can be repositioned. And the old concern about more difficulty with jigs went away when an alternative fence face became available from third parties that gives you a rectangular section with tee-slots for that specific purpose.

I had a Uni on my second saw...a Delta contractor's style saw. My next saw, a Jet cabinet saw had the tee-square type similar to the Biesemeyer. My slider has a fence similar to the Uni and I'm so happy to be back to that style!