PDA

View Full Version : Forstner Bits ...

Michael Wildt
02-15-2008, 3:47 PM
Hi,

I noticed Woodcraft has a sale on one of their 16 pcs Forstner bit sets. It is item #147067 for $39.99, normal $70'ish.

I haven't really used Forstner bits on a regular basis, so how do these hold up compared to the ones with carbide ? I do have a small project to make where several sizes are required. I would prefer to only get one good set of bits, and it would be great if they are producing a flat bottom cut.

Any experience with this particular set ?

Thanks,
Michael

Tim Malyszko
02-15-2008, 4:21 PM
I bought the smaller set from Woodcraft a couple of years ago and they held up okay. Out of the 7 that were in the set, I only used 3 of them on a regular basis and those have all since been replaced with equivalent Freud Carbide Forstner Bits.

I will never buy a bulk set like this again since I don't end up using the majority of the bits. Instead, I order the Freud bits off Amazon as I need them.

As far as performance went, the bottom was flat, but the cut was slow. I was constantly having to back off the bit so I wouldn't burn the wood. Going slow and steady produced a nice cut. The comprobable carbide bits I now own, however, cut much smoother and leave a burn free finish.

If you don't plan on using the Forstner bits too often, this set would be a good buy for you. Just go slow when you use the bits and you should be fine.

I hope this helps.

Derek Hansen
02-15-2008, 5:07 PM
My GF got me that set for Valentine's day :D

Bob Slater
02-15-2008, 5:26 PM
I bought some Vermont bits at Home Depo. for a decent price. They hav e been good. A few are now dull and I would like to buy individual replacements like the previous post mentioned. I like using them in the drill press.

Dave Sweeney
02-15-2008, 5:28 PM
Personally, I think that the bits in that set aren't any different than the ones that are in the Harbor Freight set that cost about half as much. The quality level in both the HF and Woodcraft sets is middle of the road.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-15-2008, 5:39 PM
I believe that most of the standard Asian import forstner bits are probably the same...at least that's what I've read. In my own experience, they certainly don't last forever. In fact, they wear out much faster than standard twist drill bits or Asian router bits which are either HSS or carbide.

As Tim mentioned, a set is a good place to start. When you notice certain bits always get used (for example: a 1 3/8" bit for concealed hinges), you can replace them with better quality carbide bits. For a hobbyist, they are OK, and it's nice to have a full spectrum of sizes available since one's hobby may require lots of sizes that are used less often.

Oh...and remember, spin them at low speeds, and always use a drill press for larger diameters.

-Jeff :)

John W. Willis
02-15-2008, 5:43 PM
Rockler has their 22 piece set on at 50% off now, I believe it's $49.99.

glenn bradley
02-15-2008, 5:45 PM
Now, like Tim I am not big on sets in general. Of course you can here the "but" coming on this one. I have a 7 piece set from Woodcraft that I soooo much more than got my money's worth out of. I supplemented it with the between size set so I have 1/4" - 1" in 16ths and unlike router bit sets, they all actually get used.

I also have various sizes outside that range which are all Freuds that work very well. As the aforementioned set components die, I will replace with better quality. My logic here (as with router bits) is that if I used it enough to wear it out, I deserve a good one.

Gary Keedwell
02-15-2008, 7:48 PM
I have the 13 bit set in wooden box from Lee Valley.(HSS-$79).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,180,42240,42244&p=42244

Fine Woodworking's new issue # 197 has a review on Forstner bits. I haven't received the issue in the mail yet but their site has it.

Gary

Mark Singer
02-15-2008, 8:39 PM
Even the cheap sets work pretty well!

Mike Henderson
02-15-2008, 8:55 PM
I have the 13 bit set in wooden box from Lee Valley.(HSS-$79).
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,180,42240,42244&p=42244

Fine Woodworking's new issue # 197 has a review on Forstner bits. I haven't received the issue in the mail yet but their site has it.

Gary
I received my FWW and the Famag bits at Traditional Woodworker and Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=778) got the highest rating. The Grizzley set got the Best Value choice.

Mike

Thomas Canfield
02-15-2008, 9:44 PM
I have two (2) sets of the cheaper bits, one set is by 1/8" to 2 - 1/4" and the other is the 1/16" increment in between. It is surprising how often I need the 1/16" size such as 11/16" makes a perfect hole for a #2 Morse Taper storage, and a 1/16" oversize makes for a good loose fit for dowels. A couple of the bits are dulling and will need replacement, but the 1/8" set is about 8 or 10 years old and most still usable cutting clean. I would encourage buying the larger set and replacing the most used when needed with carbide if it is justified.

Michael Wildt
02-15-2008, 9:47 PM
Hi,

I really appreciate all the comments. Great forum!!
I do subscribe the FWW so I'll check it out when it gets here. Great with a tool test just as I'm looking at these bits.

I'll probably end up with a set since I need several different sizes instead of individual bits, short term. Though to get the best bits one may have to buy them individually. The Famags looks nice, but also quite pricey for set.

The rockler offer I hadn't seen so that was a great pointer too.

Thanks
Michael

Michael Weber
02-16-2008, 12:26 PM
You might check out the local HD. They may be having a sale on the Porter Cable set.

Don Bullock
02-16-2008, 5:27 PM
I have the WC Forstner bit set. While I have nothing to compare them to, they work fine for me. I suppose if you're planning on using a Forstner bit a lot that it might be better to buy a more expensive bit, but it's nice to have a set like this so when you need a particular size for a project you don't have to buy a single bit.

Jim Becker
02-16-2008, 5:55 PM
I don't know about this particular set, but a long time ago I bought a similar set from the now deceased Woodworker's Warehouse for about the same money. I bought the set so I would have a broad range of sizes and once I determined which particular ones I used the most, I'd replace those with better quality ones which I've done for just a few. I also found I could hone the flats a little to get them cutting like new.

Bruce Wrenn
02-16-2008, 9:35 PM
I have a couple sets of Forstener bits. One had 16 bits for $32, and the others were the Columbian bits from Woodcraft. Can't tell any difference in the quality of the cuts. Put a 3 X 5 note card on the box. List all the sizes of bits in the set on card. Each time you use a bit, mark it down. Soon, you will see which ones one need to replace with a "good" bit. For me, it was the 1/2 and 5/8 ones. I have 35 MM carbide hinge bits, so the 1 3/8 doesn't get as much use.

Ben Cadotte
02-16-2008, 9:58 PM
I bought the 20 piece set from HF. Like some of the other, I think I have only removed the plastic protective coating from 3 or 4 of them at the most. As for longevity, if you get the less expensive bits, keep them cool! Will keep an edge longer. And like a previous poster. Give them a quick hone and they will cut better. I have had no problem with the HF set, and like some others I think most of the less expensive ones are all about the same quality wise. I have not had to replace one yet.

John Thompson
02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I have a cheap, 16 piece Hickory Woodworking set I bought years ago. I use them a ton including making patterns with them. They will probably never be replaced as they are still going strong. Just change you belt on the DP to a slower speed or.. plunge and with-draw, etc. to keep them cooler.

I just got my FWW today and the Woodcraft set actually ran cooler than the Famig so.. sometimes pricing does not tell the whole story. The most expensive mortise machine chisels on the market (Clico) cost around $100 each in the U.S. They cost under $10 equivalent in England where they are made. The LV set is cheaper.. ran cooler and had fewer machine marks that had to be honed out of the box.

The Woodcraft should last you a long time as long as you don't abuse by over-heating leading to dis-temper and shot edges.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2008, 6:26 AM
Hello,
One day a couple of years ago I was in Sears Hardware for what I can't remember.
On an impulse I picked up a 5 set of Porter Cable Forstner bits.
I have yet to use a single one of them.
Everytime I want one, it seems like it's one that isn't in the set and I have to run out a pick up an individual one:confused:.

Jim Davenport
02-17-2008, 7:21 AM
I was somewhat suprised at a couple of comments about replacing Forstener bits when they become dull.
They are very easy to sharpen with a small triangle file.

Don Bullock
02-17-2008, 10:04 AM
The latest issue of Fine Woodworking has a review of Forstener bits. It came yesterday.

JayStPeter
02-17-2008, 1:13 PM
Well, I was just flipping through the FWW test. The Woodcraft bits at least made the top 9 of 18. Surprisingly the Lee Valley bits didn't. They were put in the also ran list on the website.
I bought a cheap set years ago, one of my few happy purchases from MLCS at the time. I have replaced a couple but, like Jim, a little honing usually does the job. I've replaced the really burned up ones with carbide bits from Rockler, which weren't tested.
One of the significant factors in the test IMO is chip clearing. My cheap bits tend to clog. From my little use so far, the Rockler carbides don't seem much better. Perhaps on the next replacement cycle I'll try the top rated carbide bits by Freud. I have two or three bits now that appear to have lost their temper but are still hanging in there.
Based on what I see in the test, I'd buy the woodcraft bits at the sale price.

Jim Davenport
02-17-2008, 1:25 PM
One of the problems with the cheap bits catching chips is that they are very rough internally where they weren,'t machined. A little judicius smoothing with a "Cratex bit" on a dremel tool will smooth things up quite a bit.

brian gallagher
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
I just got the Lee Valley 13 pc. set of forstners... up to 1"

first off, they are made in china. didn't really mention that in the catalog.
Can't say I was very impressed looking at them.
Very poor machining, not at all like a cheap drill or router bit.
About 5 of 13 of them had significant "chips" out of the rim area of the drill -so this isn't something you can just "hone". and the cutting bottom edge was uneven on all of them.

I know this is putting chinese forstners under too much inspection..
but compared to the brad point drills they sell, the machining is lousy. I expected better quality control was what I was paying for with LV- I mean they do go on and on about how great their bits are.

none the less, they cut fine on the first go.
If I did it over I would get the Freud's that are made in austria (avanti). I have seen a handful of them and they are all machined better, but don't come in 16ths sets.

Gary Herrmann
02-21-2008, 12:19 AM
I've got the large Freud set. It was on sale and I had just been given an Amazon gift certificate. Couldn't resist. Admittedly, without those two things happening at the same time, I would have continued to buy individually as needed.

Kennneth Sain
02-21-2008, 8:36 PM
I have the Grizzly set. They are O.K. but I have also purchased carbide bits in the 4 sizes I use most.

Greg Hines, MD
02-21-2008, 9:32 PM
I have that very same set. I would agree that they are not the greatest bits, but they aren't the worst either. I have used them for several different projects, and can't complain for most of the.

Doc