PDA

View Full Version : Bailey #5 purchase

Duncan Potter
02-15-2008, 3:14 PM
I just bough a Stanley Bailey #5 through the auction site.

Although I know next to nothing about planes, I've disassembled it, cleaned it up as well as I can, and resharpened the iron. Unfortunately, it looks like someone took a bench grinder to the iron, especially on one corner, and the iron does not seem to be very flat.

The chip breaker is a little rough (corrosion and pitting).

The lever cap doesn't say Stanley on it and has a small chip out of the leading edge. It is slightly different from the lever cap on my #3 Bailey, which is probably a later vintage.

Anyway, is there a source for new irons and chipbreakers?
Is there a way to tell if the lever cap is original? If not, is there a source for proper lever caps?

Thanks for any and all advice/information/derision!

Clint Jones
02-15-2008, 3:32 PM
It looks like a type 11 plane. Some people think they are the best era of planes made by stanley. The lever cap is original to the plane as is the blade. The chip in the lever cap shouldnt be a problem but if it really bothers you pm me for a replacement. I also can provide a chipbreaker. Looks like the front knob is missing and some screws from the tote. You can by a replacement iron and chipbreaker made by HOCK. It probably will cost you a bit more than you paid for the plane but will be worth it. The blade in the plane looks fine to me as long as there isnt real heavy pitting on the back it should be ok. If you want to fix the blade use a square and mark a straight line on the back of the blade with a marker. Make a jig from scrap that holds the blade at 25 deg and use a belt sander to grind it square. Or you can just use a bench grinder and a cup of water. -Clint

Pedro Reyes
02-15-2008, 3:38 PM
Nice find.

It looks like a Type 11ish, all parts look original form that picture. Including your lever cap. Depending on how bad the chip is it may make a diff or not.

There are multiple sources for new blades and chip breakers, not sure about lever caps as I';ve never needed one.

My advice would be to sharpen the blade, polish the chip breaker smooth and clean (or even polish) the lever cap. Put a little wax on them (chip breaker and lever cap) where they will receive the shavings.

I have never seen a plane choke (shavings get stuck in throat of plane) due to a lever cap, but not sure maybe it is possible. I would try it first and if it does not choke up, then a minor chip should not be a problem.

The chip breaker on the other hand should make good contact (flat, no gaps) with the blade, this interface is important to avoid choking up a plane.

Bottom line, what you have should work after proper tune-up. If you still think about buying new iron and chip breaker, I've used Hock and Lie Nielesn and they are both excelent. Google them and you should find that.

hope this helps.

/p

Duncan Potter
02-15-2008, 4:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I have the knob and screws for the knob and tote (nice brass caps on threaded studs). I removed them to clean up the parts. I'll probably refinish before reinstalling.

I'll look into a new iron and chipbreaker. I paid less than $40 for the plane so a little more investment may not hurt.

Thanks again

Jim Koepke
02-15-2008, 4:38 PM
It looks like a type 11 plane. Some people think they are the best era of planes made by stanley. The lever cap is original to the plane as is the blade. The chip in the lever cap shouldnt be a problem but if it really bothers you pm me for a replacement. I also can provide a chipbreaker. Looks like the front knob is missing and some screws from the tote.

I am one of those that Clint mentions who feel this is the best era of plane making from Stanley. I actually like them better than the planes from the SW Hart era.

If you need a screw for the front of the tote, the frog screws have the same thread and are easier to come by. I have just taken a file to one to smooth it over.

Welcome to the slope.

Jim

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
- Oscar Wilde