PDA

View Full Version : Yeah the barrels get that hot.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-15-2008, 2:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wf6IYMNdeo&feature=related

Jeff Bower
02-15-2008, 2:11 PM
:eek::eek::eek: Holy hot metal Batman!

Tom Sherman
02-15-2008, 2:48 PM
I just saw a Mythbuster's episode where they used one of these to cut a mesquite tree trunk in two. Awesome firepower.

Joe Chritz
02-15-2008, 3:36 PM
The big ones are even cooler.

The Dillon shoots about 6K per minute so that little clip was about 1400 rounds.

Way cool.

Joe

Chris Padilla
02-15-2008, 5:23 PM
"We fired our cannon till the barrel melted down
So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round
We filled his head with cannonballs 'n' powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind"

The Battle of New Orleans by Jimmy Driftwood (http://www.galafilm.com/1812/e/people/songs_battleneworleans.html)

Sorry, in my little warped mind, this song came tumblin' out! :)

Frank McKinney
02-15-2008, 7:46 PM
...when fired like that. Firing in bursts will help the barrels last longer. I used to fly Hueys with twin mini-guns and 2.75" rocket pods. Was awesome on NVG's. But then, I digress.

Fire the FPF!!!

Frank

Jason Roehl
02-15-2008, 8:26 PM
If you want some real fast firepower, check out MetalStorm on YouTube. Up to 1,000,000 rounds per minute (video shows 180 round fired at this rate).

The Gatling video is misleading because it's in infrared or night vision, so the barrels appear hotter than what they really are. I bet you wouldn't have been able to see them glowing with the naked eye, even at night.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-15-2008, 9:06 PM
...when fired like that. Firing in bursts will help the barrels last longer. I used to fly Hueys with twin mini-guns and 2.75" rocket pods. Was awesome on NVG's. But then, I digress.

Fire the FPF!!!Frank

When you are trained and disciplined you fire short controlled bursts. That guy was a tad excessive by any measure, I'd say.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-15-2008, 9:09 PM
If you want some real fast firepower, check out MetalStorm on YouTube. Up to 1,000,000 rounds per minute (video shows 180 round fired at this rate).

The Gatling video is misleading because it's in infrared or night vision, so the barrels appear hotter than what they really are. I bet you wouldn't have been able to see them glowing with the naked eye, even at night.

Maybe it looks like regular video to me. I had a friend who did Special Forces in WWII. His training had 'em making the barrels red hot. As I recall the training session in question had people comming over the hill driving women and children before them and the orders were FIRE~!! So they fired.

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2008, 6:11 AM
Hello,

Full auto = empty bank account :D

Bill Lantry
02-16-2008, 7:42 AM
Honestly, gentlemen,

Mowing down women and children? How efficient it is to shoot people from helicopters? If I wanted to read that kind of thing, I'd open the newspaper. And a mod participating. Geez...

Peace to you and yours,

Thanks,

Bill

Rich Stewart
02-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Brings to mind a line from some movie.

"How can you shoot women and children?"

"Easy, you just don't lead 'em as much."

Gary Keedwell
02-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Honestly, gentlemen,

Mowing down women and children? How efficient it is to shoot people from helicopters? If I wanted to read that kind of thing, I'd open the newspaper. And a mod participating. Geez...

Peace to you and yours,

Thanks,

Bill
Fact of life Bill...you can't always choose the size, age or sex of the people who want you dead.

Gary

Jason Roehl
02-16-2008, 1:34 PM
Brings to mind a line from some movie.

"How can you shoot women and children?"

"Easy, you just don't lead 'em as much."

I'm thinking that was Full Metal Jacket, if memory serves me, been a while since I've seen it, though.

Paul Engle
02-17-2008, 9:41 AM
short , controlled burst .... untill some fanatical VC or Arab is screeming in your face..... suddenly you crap your pants , pee in your draws and try to squeeze the life outa the pistol grip and realize your clip is empty and he is still commin at ya, and this guy is two feet from making an end to your life.... and fear grips you like an iron vise and you swing the gun just in time to knock him down , allowing you to clip up and squeeze the whole mag in to him and then shake uncontrollaby for as long as it took to read this, and do it again and again and again. Controlled ? yea right, eventually.
Freedom is not free.

Paul Kunkel
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
When I was in Vietnam, our Hueys had an asbestos mitt hanging just in front of the door. In a hot firefight, our M-60 barrels would get so hot that you could see the tracers begin to spiral. It was time to mitt up, release the barrel lever and R&R. New barrel would restore accuracy.

Cobra platoon, 114 AHC, Vinh Long Vietnam 1965

Bruce Page
02-17-2008, 10:50 PM
All I can say is WOW!

Gary Keedwell
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
When I was in Vietnam, our Hueys had an asbestos mitt hanging just in front of the door. In a hot firefight, our M-60 barrels would get so hot that you could see the tracers begin to spiral. It was time to mitt up, release the barrel lever and R&R. New barrel would restore accuracy.

Cobra platoon, 114 AHC, Vinh Long Vietnam 1965
Cobras....Man...we used to love them work out...I'll never forget New Years Eve 1970...stoned out of my mind watching the fireworks.:eek::eek::D

Gary

Ken Fitzgerald
02-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I'll never forget the Friday evening I found out about "Puff". It was 1969 and I was a lowly Navy Seaman going to ET school in Great Lakes. With a wife and 2 kids to support, after they took out my wife's "allowance" and added to it and sent it to her......I could hardly afford my cigarettes for 2 weeks on the remainder they gave to me. 3 friends and I used to go to the EM club on Friday nights and play hearts. I wasn't old enough to drink and I could nurse one large coke all night long while playing cards. A Marine came in on two canes. He sat down at the table next to ours and watched the card game and proceeded to get drunk out of his mind. After he'd had way too many beers, he started talking. With all the bandages, the limps, the canes....the wild look in his eyes...You knew he had been someplace nobody would want to go and had managed to survive.....one of the statements he spoke sticks in my mind today....nearly 40 years later...."Prettiest sight I ever saw....Puff the Magic Dragon....walking through the night sky looking like a giant spider".......When we were finished playing cards ...as we were about to leave the Shore Patrol was going to take hiim to the brig....We convinced them to let us get him back to the Naval Hospital where he was undergoing treatment. We got him loaded into one of the guys cars and took him back. It made an impression on my young mind. That is where my generation lost their innocence.

Joe Chritz
02-18-2008, 2:11 AM
I'll never forget the Friday evening I found out about "Puff". It was 1969 and I was a lowly Navy Seaman going to ET school in Great Lakes. With a wife and 2 kids to support, after they took out my wife's "allowance" and added to it and sent it to her......I could hardly afford my cigarettes for 2 weeks on the remainder they gave to me. 3 friends and I used to go to the EM club on Friday nights and play hearts. I wasn't old enough to drink and I could nurse one large coke all night long while playing cards. A Marine came in on two canes. He sat down at the table next to ours and watched the card game and proceeded to get drunk out of his mind. After he'd had way too many beers, he started talking. With all the bandages, the limps, the canes....the wild look in his eyes...You knew he had been someplace nobody would want to go and had managed to survive.....one of the statements he spoke sticks in my mind today....nearly 40 years later...."Prettiest sight I ever saw....Puff the Magic Dragon....walking through the night sky looking like a giant spider".......When we were finished playing cards ...as we were about to leave the Shore Patrol was going to take hiim to the brig....We convinced them to let us get him back to the Naval Hospital where he was undergoing treatment. We got him loaded into one of the guys cars and took him back. It made an impression on my young mind. That is where my generation lost their innocence.

The first casualty of war is innocence.

Everybody has memories they would rather forget. Some career choices just give you more than others.

Joe

Chuck Wintle
02-18-2008, 6:32 AM
What I am wondering, after watching the video, if the barrel is just so much scrap metal after heating up so much. :)

Gary Keedwell
02-18-2008, 8:57 AM
I'll never forget the Friday evening I found out about "Puff". It was 1969 and I was a lowly Navy Seaman going to ET school in Great Lakes. With a wife and 2 kids to support, after they took out my wife's "allowance" and added to it and sent it to her......I could hardly afford my cigarettes for 2 weeks on the remainder they gave to me. 3 friends and I used to go to the EM club on Friday nights and play hearts. I wasn't old enough to drink and I could nurse one large coke all night long while playing cards. A Marine came in on two canes. He sat down at the table next to ours and watched the card game and proceeded to get drunk out of his mind. After he'd had way too many beers, he started talking. With all the bandages, the limps, the canes....the wild look in his eyes...You knew he had been someplace nobody would want to go and had managed to survive.....one of the statements he spoke sticks in my mind today....nearly 40 years later...."Prettiest sight I ever saw....Puff the Magic Dragon....walking through the night sky looking like a giant spider".......When we were finished playing cards ...as we were about to leave the Shore Patrol was going to take hiim to the brig....We convinced them to let us get him back to the Naval Hospital where he was undergoing treatment. We got him loaded into one of the guys cars and took him back. It made an impression on my young mind. That is where my generation lost their innocence.http://www.free-animations.co.uk/people/wizards/images/wizard_6.gif Ahhhhhh The Dragon......;)

Dave Anderson NH
02-18-2008, 9:15 AM
Well Mr. Engle you've certainly brought back a few memories with your vivid description. Actually I'd rather forget them.

Dave Anderson NH
Cpl, 0331 (machine gunner)
B co. 1/7 1st MARDIV '68-'69

Ben Gastfriend
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I just saw a Mythbuster's episode where they used one of these to cut a mesquite tree trunk in two. Awesome firepower.

So, what did they do with the mesquite tree? :D:D:D

Yikes! That's really glowing hot!

Gary Keedwell
02-18-2008, 1:19 PM
Well Mr. Engle you've certainly brought back a few memories with your vivid description. Actually I'd rather forget them.

Dave Anderson NH
Cpl, 0331 (machine gunner)
B co. 1/7 1st MARDIV '68-'69
Yea..I'm beyond that now, Dave.....seems like an old movie now...one of the benefits of aging gray matter, I guess.:eek:

C Company, 1st 506
101st Air Borne (Screaming Eagles)
Combat Medic