PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 3000 $160

Dave Bonde
02-15-2008, 1:29 PM
Amazon has dropped the price of the worksharp 3000 to $160 with free shipping if anyone has been holding out for a sale price this might fit the bill:) Dave

Brian Dormer
02-15-2008, 4:00 PM
That might just push me over the edge (pun unintentional).

I've been looking at these for a while now - The Veritas MK II is now over $400 (ouch), so the Worksharp is the front runner. But I'm having a hard time justifying the $100 premium for 3000 .vs. 2000. The 2000 runs at a higher (less safe, more likely to burn the tools) speed and only has the plastic (less flat than glass) disks. Still, for 100 bucks, it MIGHT do everything I would need.

For 60 bucks, I can probably make the justification to go for the 3000. SWMBO might just sign off on it. Then again - do I really have to tell her?

In these situations, I usually end up thinking of this quote:

"If I dood it, I get in twouble... I dood it!" - Tweety Bird

Tim Malyszko
02-15-2008, 4:12 PM
I've got so much invested in stones, jigs, grinders, diamond surfaces, etc. that spending another $160 would seem silly, but it really looks so easy and I LOVE new tools. :D

I think I'm going to pass this time, but that is a great deal.

Thanks for posting.

Greg Visser
02-15-2008, 7:18 PM
How would the worksharp 3000 compare to a Tormek (or comparable Jet) system? Does one have advantages over the other, besides price? I haven't seen the Worksharp system, but have been looking at the Tormek style.

Thanks for your input!

Will Overton
02-15-2008, 7:44 PM
Good review, not comparison though.

http://woodworkerszone.com/index.php?categoryid=11&p2_articleid=3

Doug Shepard
02-15-2008, 8:57 PM
Assuming that I decide to not pass this up, what accesories do I want to get with it?

jim sauterer
02-15-2008, 9:05 PM
thanks for the heads up.been looking but couldnt pull the trigger.great price hope it goes through.thanks again.

Jeff Fondaw
02-15-2008, 9:32 PM
Just got one yesterday from Hartville - 169.00 with free shipping. Sharpened 8 chisels (which were in pretty bad shape) to a mirror finish in less than an hour. I think this tool makes a lot of sense for people who take no pleasure in hand sharpening - it makes what is often drudgery and sometimes difficult (not to mention confusing with all the different systems out there) into a simple, repeatable process. Well worth the investment - all my hand tools will be sharp from now on - no excuses.

Jeff Fondaw

Jack Ferrell
02-15-2008, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dave. Been waiting for a good buy on this and just pulled the trigger as I can't sharpen anything decently. Combine that with the little time I have in the shop and hopefully this will be an answer for me. Think I'll use it for chisels and some lathe tools. Hand planes will still be the old way.

Dave Falkenstein
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Assuming that I decide to not pass this up, what accesories do I want to get with it?

I bought one today. I got an extra glass wheel, a coarse grit kit and a fine grit kit. If you do lathe tool sharpening you want to look at an additional slotted wheel(s) and more slotted paper. Posts I read say having three wheels is best, so you can mount 6 grits and not change it until it wears out.

Another recommendation is a foot switch. I got one from MLCS through Amazon.

Mike Goetzke
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Been looking at this for a while too. $160 makes it work for me. I bought the accessories at HartvilleTool. They have a 15% off it you mention another forums name (WN) in the shipping instructions box and free shipping on orders over $75 (after discount applied). I have chisels and lathe tools so I purchased (based on suggestions from several other owners): one additional glass wheel, two additional slotted, and two slotted abrasive kits (figured I can buy the 6" PSA disks elsewhere).

Thanks for the heads up,

Mike

Dave Bonde
02-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Like some of you guys I have been waiting for a sale on the worksharp. I also ordered an extra glass wheel to put a 80/100 grit wheel together mainly because I can't seem to control myself with my good chisels I always seem to damage them:mad: I have looked at the wet systems and didn't want the mess but more of a concern was my shop freezes (like now in Iowa) and I was worried about the wet stones being damaged. I think every review I have read about the Worksharp has been positive with a few pointing out limitaions. I hope we are all satisfied with them. Dave

David Tiell
02-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the price difference! I just ordered this on Wednesday at the $199 price, so I sent an email asking about getting a refund. Based on the last time this happened, I should be seeing about $40 coming back to me.

Again, thanks!

Michael Schwartz
02-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Well 160 bucks was enough of a deal to get me to pull the plug :D

Doug Shepard
02-16-2008, 7:34 AM
Thanks folks. The timing could have been better since I just got a LV order yesterday for a few spendy items. I've been eyeballing one of these for a while now and couldn't let it go at that price. I tend to delay sharpening until I've got a bunch to do. Anything that can turn a chore that takes most of a morning into an hour is worth the money. Ended up throwing 2 extra wheels, fine/coarse/honing/leather honing discs into the cart. I'm such a tool whore.:(

dan grant
02-16-2008, 7:47 AM
Thanks folks. I'm such a tool whore.:(
its ok this too will pass:) have one luv it

David Tiell
02-16-2008, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the price difference! I just ordered this on Wednesday at the $199 price, so I sent an email asking about getting a refund. Based on the last time this happened, I should be seeing about $40 coming back to me.

Again, thanks!Got an email response less than half an hour later saying that they would refund the difference right away! They said this is normal procedure if the price drops on an item within 30 days of the actual shipment, so if you've ordered one from Amazon in the last month, get your $39 bucks back. But you have to request it.

Mike Goetzke
02-16-2008, 1:07 PM
Follow the links to the WOOD mag. video:

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/WayneC/blog/1113

Ellen Benkin
02-16-2008, 1:25 PM
I've been telling everyone I know in woodworking that I could do a commercial for this product! I HATE sharpening!!! I have stones and jigs galore, but none of it made my chisels as sharp as I wanted them. I received a Work Sharp for Christmas and I have become a sharpening demon. I started with some old Craftsman "beaters" and worked my way to my better chisels. It is just amazing how easy this system is. It works kind of like a Lap Sharp, but with no messy water and with lots cheaper sandpaper and with a built in jig for the bevel. Work Sharp's CD is a great way to learn the techniques required and they even tell you that you can use other's sandpaper and don't have to buy theirs. By the way, if you are looking for extremely fine sanding disks (3200), try an automotive supply store.

This is the kind of product you want to buy. It is reasonably priced (even at $200) and does exactly what it promises.

Go for the model 3000, not the cheaper one.

Doug Shepard
02-19-2008, 6:30 PM
DOH:o That will learn me to read the specs more carefully. Mine got here an hour ago and I popped the box just enough to grab the manual and read it while eating dinner. I didnt realize it already came with 2 glass wheels. The suggestion about having 3 sounded good, so I ordered 2 extra wheels. The extra wheels and paper shipped separate and will be here tomorrow. Oh well - I'm sure it will get put to good use.

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 8:00 PM
Saw a post about this on another forum and ordered one. $160 delivered. Two hours later the sale was gone. Back to $200 now. Got lucky I guess. Got in at the last minute. :D

David Tiell
02-19-2008, 9:36 PM
DOH:o That will learn me to read the specs more carefully. Mine got here an hour ago and I popped the box just enough to grab the manual and read it while eating dinner. I didnt realize it already came with 2 glass wheels. The suggestion about having 3 sounded good, so I ordered 2 extra wheels. The extra wheels and paper shipped separate and will be here tomorrow. Oh well - I'm sure it will get put to good use.
I got mine the other day, and immediately put 120 and 400 on one wheel, and 1000 and the micromesh on the other. I have ordered one more wheel, and think I will end up ordering one or two more yet. After messing around some, it occurred to me it would be nice to have the same grit on both sides of a wheel. The way I set mine up, it's a pain to go back and forth between sharpening the bevel, and then lapping the back, or vice versa. For example, if I'm sharpening with the 400, I have the 120 on top to lap with. So I think extra wheels are the way to go.

Dave