PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what's wrong with our engraver?

Janet Leahy
02-15-2008, 1:02 PM
We have a Model 9000 Epilog Legend 36EXT. It used to do this every once in awhile, but starting yesterday afternoon, it's been doing this on almost every job.

I heard before that it might be the optics needing cleaned, but they have been, not even a month ago, and then again today...still no change.

I've attached a pic to show what exactly it's doing.
Has anyone had this happen before?

mike wallis
02-15-2008, 1:10 PM
Had a similar issue with My Epilog Mini, came down to a dirty encoder strip located under the x axis cover. I believe Epilog has instructions on the cleaning procedure on their website. They can also walk you through via phone.
Good Luck
Mike

Sam Yerardi
02-15-2008, 1:19 PM
I was going to suggest that either an encoder (or in the case of a galvo) one axis is having a problem keeping up with the other one. One test for this is to lase a line at right angles to each other. Where they join, lase a line at 45 deg between the two previous lines. If there is a lagging problem on one of the axes it will show up immediately.

Janet Leahy
02-15-2008, 1:29 PM
Cleaning the encoder worked! At least for now (fingers crossed).

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions...I'm kind of new at laser engraving, and I'm really lovin this site! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

:D

Phyllis Meyer
02-15-2008, 1:36 PM
Hi Janet,

You might want to clean optics more often, and yes...the encoder strip sure looks like your culprit! Good luck and have a great day!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Sandra Force
02-15-2008, 1:44 PM
Also, check all of the optics. Most epilog engravers have one hidden mirror and a window that need cleaned regularly too.:rolleyes:

Janet Leahy
02-15-2008, 1:49 PM
I cleaned that encoder strip back in January (before today). I'm guessing it got dirty again really fast because our exhaust looks a little caked with dust (mostly from Cherry wood). I'm cleaning the exhaust as well, as a precaution.

Sandra Force
02-15-2008, 1:58 PM
I would suggest that you check into a larger exhaust fan or more effective one if it is clogging up in a month no matter how much wood you are engrave/cutting. You may be causing damage to your equipment by not having enough draft on your exhaust.

Janet Leahy
02-15-2008, 2:05 PM
i started working here in november, and the people that used this machine before me haven't cleaned the exhaust for maybe 6 mo. to a year with no problems.

i was literally scraping through a layer of caked sawdust to get to the metal beneath it.