PDA

View Full Version : ....yep, more bowls!

Barry Stratton
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
This Arkansas walnut bowl measures 13" x 3 1/2". Rim is 3/8", and thins to 1/8" about half way down walls thru the bottom. A neighbor gave me a cord or so of firewood a month ago, this is my "THANK YOU" gift to them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2048700x387.jpg

This elm bowl is 7" x 2". I left the rim thick at 3/4" to show off the pretty wood. Walls and bottom taper down to a still hefty 3/8".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2052700x470.jpg

Finally, a maple bowl. This one measures 7" x 2 1/4" with 1/4" walls. I took my burner to the rim to try something different.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2061700x558.jpg

All finished with multiple coats of Minwax wipe-on poly, then buffed.

All comments AND critiques welcome.

Tom Sherman
02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Barry these are some very nice bowls.

Tim Brooks
02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Barry,

Wow, what beautiful bowls! I especially like the last one. When I first looked at it I thought it was a natural edged bowl but man that is gorgeous!

Great job!

Grant Davis
02-15-2008, 1:01 PM
Barry,

Wow, what beautiful bowls! I especially like the last one. When I first looked at it I thought it was a natural edged bowl but man that is gorgeous!

Great job!

I thought the exact same thing about the natural edge of the bowl. The burned edge is a very nice touch.

robert hainstock
02-15-2008, 1:10 PM
You've done some admirable work there. your neighbor will be a happy camper. :D:D
Bob

gene cox
02-15-2008, 1:26 PM
nice bowls cut 2 large walnut last year put most through my saw mill saved some large pc. for lathe live in ar. have lot of nice elm walnut pecan maple alot of hard woods was building a new house house just got back to turning have tons of hard wood in my barn and saw mill just looking to get new things to make love your bowls

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2008, 1:49 PM
Beautiful bowls Barry. Great job on all.

Alex Elias
02-15-2008, 2:34 PM
Wonderful. All 3 are nice I like the first one the most.

Ben Gastfriend
02-15-2008, 4:05 PM
I really like the form on the 2nd one. All are great work.!

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2008, 4:50 PM
Impressive work Barry! Each bowl offers something different. Love the deep, rich color and curl on the walnut. The inclusions really add to the rustic feel about it! Should make for one heck of a nice gift!

The elm bowl has some beautiful grain in it and the wdie rim really displays it to full advantage. I like the way you decrease the thickness as you get closer to the center of the bowl. I would think it would feel very balanced when held!

The maple bowl is deceptive as some others here have already noted - at first glance it looks like a natural edge bowl! I like the effect of burning the rim - just enough to highlight the edge but not overpower the wood!

Very nice work on each bowl! Looking forward to seeing your next series!!