PDA

View Full Version : Jointer - spiral, parallel, too many questions!!

John Keeton
02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
In the process of replacing my stationary tools, the last remaining tool is the jointer. This is a hobby shop for now, but in 6 or 7 years, will retire and be more active in woodworking. I am very happy with the other Grizzly tools I have purchased so will go with the Griz on this one as well. Want an 8", but torn on spending extra bucks for the parallel beds, or spiral cutter head, and, whether 2hp or 3hp, and could I tell the difference in a non-production shop. Any comments are welcome! Need to make this decision in the next week or so, as my old jointer has been sold, and projects are waiting.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Get the parallelogram bed. They are simply more adjustable allowing you to compensate for all manner of things including where a manufacturer uses up all the tolerances on the drawings and the result works against you.

A true helical head is a nice thing. BUT ya gotta make sure you spend the extra $$ on true helical. Anything else will have you mounting your old straight blade cutter head back on in frustration. Try to get a satisfaction warrantee in writing.

Not all helical cutterheads are equal~!!

I'd not throw the old straight blade cutterhead away anyway cause sometimes you may end up wanting it. Different cutters for different materials and apps. Some folks insist on HSS for most hardwoods while others don't think it matters.

The helical cutter head will give you oodles longer life; It will eliminate the problem of adjusting the blades; and because it cuts slightly skewed it's both quiter and handles sexy curly grain better.

However when you do wreck it you will cry. If you trash the little inserts by running it across badly contaminated wood you'll have a whole lot of unscrewing and screwing to do. But then you'll have all new inserts so ~ ~ ~ ~ ~