PDA

View Full Version : Do WTB's work?

Danny Thompson
02-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I've posted a few WTBs here and there in the Classifieds section over the last year, but got little or no response. Has anyone ever had much luck with WTBs on this site? Any suggestions?

For example, I just posted one for a Veritas Low Angle Jack. Is there a better place to look for a used one of these?

Dan Racette
02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
But what were you looking for?

Were you looking to beat the full price?

or were you looking to have it fully tuned?

Dick Latshaw
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
For example, I just posted one for a Veritas Low Angle Jack. Is there a better place to look for a used one of these?

Part of the problem may be what you are looking for. Don't know of many folks who are wanting to get rid of their LV LA Jack. I know I'm not.

Danny Thompson
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Don't know of many folks who are wanting to get rid of their LV LA Jack. I know I'm not.

Dare to dream.

Danny Thompson
02-15-2008, 10:43 AM
In this case, I was looking for someone who wasn't using theirs and would sell it for less than a new one would cost me.

Jim Becker
02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
WTB's work if you are looking for something that someone wants to be rid of. I do strongly suspect that you'll be waiting a long time for that particular item, however...anybody who touches one pretty much worships it! I "think" I only remember one ever coming up and that was a total shop sale if I'm not mistaken...and it would be unusual if my memory was sound... ;)

I'm thinking that you'll be better served by biting the bullet and buying new. If you catch a show, you may be able to save shipping, or sometimes one of the retailers that carry Veritas will offer some form of short term discount on tools and/or shipping.

Richard Niemiec
02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Its really about supply.... there's an umpteen number of old Stanley bench planes out there, but notwithstanding what I believe to be Rob Lee's most fervent desire, there's not an umpteen number of LV LA Jacks out there, and unless someone is getting out of the hobby or moving over to a LN for some reason, used items like that are hen's teeth. Actually, try and find a Stanley 62, if we are talking LA jacks, and you will pay collector valuation, and that's what makes the LV and LN versions of the 62 appear cheap. I think I saw one or two LV's for sale in the last year, and they went like a flash. On ebay they can go in excess of retail due to the overseas buyers. In fact, I'm going to the Woodworking Show today in NJ and will be ordering one of them up at full retail (free shipping) from the LV booth, an excellent plane.

glenn bradley
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd say just as in selling, the match has to be there. I've sold a few things here and posted others that I never got a nibble on and were sold outside the Creek. I'd say it is a good vehicle, the timing just has to be right for it to be effective.

JayStPeter
02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I'd say if you put and ad WTB: Stock Unisaw blade guard, you would get about 50 responses within the hour.:D

Danny Thompson
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
In this case, I am on the verge of buying new, but figured why not give it a shot. Maybe someone is moving on to another hobby. I'll wait a few days and see what comes of it.

ken seale
02-15-2008, 9:47 PM
Only people that have paid up can reply to classified posts/threads.

This might tend to limit responses :rolleyes:

Peter Quadarella
02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't think that's true. Only contributors can place an ad, but anyone can contact the seller, what's to stop them?

Richard Niemiec
02-16-2008, 9:09 AM
Peter is correct. But having moved to an advertising model in lieu or in supplement of member contributions, I think the rule against "members" posting in the classified section by definition limits the supply and in that sense actively acts to diminish the overall usefulness of the classified forum to "members" and "contributors" alike. Put another way, from a demand/supply analysis, it may not make sense to make classifieds a "premium" service.

But you do have to get the timing right for some of the more popular planes. BTW, I did pull the trigger yesterday at the wood show and bought the LV LA Jack, free shipping but you have to wait until next tuesday for order entry, so I guess I'll have it by next weekend.

Danny Thompson
02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Richard,

Now that I think of it, I should have had you order 2. (No shows near me.) Enjoy.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-16-2008, 10:35 PM
But what were you looking for?

The winning powerball ticket.