PDA

View Full Version : EZ - which one would you buy

Brad Ridgway
02-15-2008, 9:18 AM
I've been reading a lot on this and i think i'm sold. I will be doing my cabinets shortly and i hate trying to rip 4x8 on the TS. Per jims and others past posts, this seems the way to go.

I was thinking about getting the 150 (non pro version) so i could keep two length assembled for 8' length and another 50" for 4' crosscuts w/o disassembling after each switch in direction.

But is that overkill since it seems a lot easier to dismantle than the cheezy guide i have now which is screwed together... I could save some $ and just get the 100.

-brad

Alex Berkovsky
02-15-2008, 9:29 AM
Brad,
You're better off posting this question on the EZ forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26). I am sure the mods will move it in no time. I think the same question was asked recently and is somewhere on the first or second page.

edit:
Here's one thread that may be of interest:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71693

David Giles
02-15-2008, 9:45 AM
I use the EZ to break down sheets and rough lumber. If you use Baltic birch (5x5 sheets), one 70" rail works well and crosscuts 4x8 sheets with room to spare. It's rare that I ever make an 8ft cut, but the rail just slides under the saw if I do. It's a good size to straight line rip lumber as well. A smaller 18" rail with a square is used to crosscut lumber into rough lengths. The Smart Table Top gets used for everything.

Dino & Company have moved on to more complex systems designed to replace cabinet saws and do major portable jobsite woodworking. If you are interested in this approach, my comments should be ignored.

Mike Cutler
02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I've been reading a lot on this and i think i'm sold. I will be doing my cabinets shortly and i hate trying to rip 4x8 on the TS. Per jims and others past posts, this seems the way to go.

I was thinking about getting the 150 (non pro version) so i could keep two length assembled for 8' length and another 50" for 4' crosscuts w/o disassembling after each switch in direction.

But is that overkill since it seems a lot easier to dismantle than the cheezy guide i have now which is screwed together... I could save some $ and just get the 100.

-brad

Brad

You really want one guide rail to be the 64" if you plan to break down plywood.
The 64" rail allows you to have the saw fully supported, and on the guide, on both ends of a 4' cut. I find it easier personally.

Alex is right though. Drop down to the EZ Forum, all the info you could ever ask for is there.

Brad Ridgway
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
ok in that case i think i'll same some more bucks and do the 114"

thx folks and sorry about the wrong forum... i'll do better next time...

Dino Makropoulos
02-15-2008, 7:43 PM

Hi Brad,
This is the right forum for any woodworking related question
...including ez.

When you call or place your order, please, mention SMC
to receive the SMC discount.

Mike Cutler
02-15-2008, 8:02 PM

Brad

No apologies necessary at all. You didn't post "on the wrong forum". As Dino stated this forum is for all questions for anything woodworking related, as a matter of fact, they all really are.

The EZ system is a great system. I enjoy the times I've been able to utilize mine, but the folks that participate more on the EZ forum have taken a "simple guide system" and elevated it well beyond a circular saw guide rail.
If you need any questions answered about the EZ system or components, that's the single best resource on the web that I know of.

I apologize if I implied that you had posted in the wrong place. That wasn't my intent.

Alex Berkovsky
02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I apologize if I implied that you had posted in the wrong place. That wasn't my intent.Mike,
It was I who mentioned that the question may get more responses if posted in the EZ forum. Of course it's Brad's right to post in either forum. My apologies if I had offended anyone.

John Bailey
02-16-2008, 6:49 AM

You might get a few more replies in the EZ forum. However, this is a proper place also. Sometimes a post here about any of our Manufacturer's Forums lead people to info they may not have seen without the post. Let us know what you decided and how it works.

John