PDA

View Full Version : WAY OT - So you think that YOU are a WOODWORKER!!

Dale Thompson
03-09-2004, 9:31 PM
I've got a neighbor couple who REALLY do woodworking. Their home is about 50 yards from my house so I can watch them every morning, afternoon, evening, whatever. They don't use ANY power tools and they don't even use any Neanderthal tools. They just find "pieces" which will fit their needs and insert them as required to strengthen their dwelling. The pieces (up to 2" or more in diameter)that don't fit, though few, are discarded on their adjacent property.

This time of year, it is easy to see that they are preparing for the arrival of another set of "twins". I almost never visit their home area because I don't wish to disturb their industrious labor. When I do, however, they pay me very little attention. Like everyone else, they look DOWN on me. :o

Five years have produced ten healthy babies. I have read where about 50% of all young Bald Eagles crash fatally on their first attempt at flight. So far, we are ten of ten on the positive side. I have a thick pair of gloves, a shipping blanket and a face shield in my garage just in case one of our "protectors" is a a bit reckless. :(

The closest we came was last year. One of the young ones (they are adult size when they attempt their first flight except that they do not get the colors until they are about three years old) was "challenged". He would "land" in our yard and sit there for an hour or so before he got the guts to try it again. Every time he took off from the nest, he would miss our house, deck, dock and the water by about six inches. Anyway, he finally got it right (unlike me) and one day he was gone. :( :) :) :)

The potential for Spring is interesting around here as I am sure that it is everywhere else. Whatever, my neighbors are busy and I don't want to give them any reason to treat ME like they treated the Taliban!! :eek:

Dale T.

David Rose
03-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Dale, it is neat to have them so close! There are quite a few on a nearby river but we seldom take the time to get out there to see them. I'll bet you don't raise chickens! :D I've read and seen pics of the parents kicking the offspring out of the nest.

We once found a young, rain battered Baldie on the side of a divided highway on a Native American reservation. We once had a near serious run in with Game and Fish transporting an injured hawk, so we called Game and Fish at the nearby town. When we later tried to find out about the disposition of the bird, we were told to "forget that we ever saw it". A legal rescue friend of ours tried to find out more. She was told to back off too. She was shocked and did further research. Her rescue license was threatened so she left it alone. Did someone want to raise it for feathers?

They surely do beat turkeys for the National symbol, huh?

David

I've got a neighbor couple who REALLY do woodworking. Their home is about 50 yards from my house so I can watch them every morning, afternoon, evening, whatever. They don't use ANY power tools and they don't even use any Neanderthal tools. They just find "pieces" which will fit their needs and insert them as required to strengthen their dwelling. The pieces (up to 2" or more in diameter)that don't fit, though few, are discarded on their adjacent property.

This time of year, it is easy to see that they are preparing for the arrival of another set of "twins". I almost never visit their home area because I don't wish to disturb their industrious labor. When I do, however, they pay me very little attention. Like everyone else, they look DOWN on me. :o

Five years have produced ten healthy babies. I have read where about 50% of all young Bald Eagles crash fatally on their first attempt at flight. So far, we are ten of ten on the positive side. I have a thick pair of gloves, a shipping blanket and a face shield in my garage just in case one of our "protectors" is a a bit reckless. :(

The closest we came was last year. One of the young ones (they are adult size when they attempt their first flight except that they do not get the colors until they are about three years old) was "challenged". He would "land" in our yard and sit there for an hour or so before he got the guts to try it again. Every time he took off from the nest, he would miss our house, deck, dock and the water by about six inches. Anyway, he finally got it right (unlike me) and one day he was gone. :( :) :) :)

The potential for Spring is interesting around here as I am sure that it is everywhere else. Whatever, my neighbors are busy and I don't want to give them any reason to treat ME like they treated the Taliban!! :eek:

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Dale, that's just TOO neat! We see a few Eagles and a fair amount of Hawks by us, but don't have a clue where any of them nest. There's a regular "Eagle Watch" area near Sauk (about 20 min. away from us), right on the Wisconsin River. It's a real charge watching them hunt or just soar about. Wish I had YOUR vantage point, though! Thanks for sharing...Like I said: Neat! :cool:

Pat Salter
03-10-2004, 12:24 AM
That is Awesome Dale, any pictures? Photography is my other hobby and what you describing would be a great opportuity.

I have something similar on a small scale. Our part of the country has Kestrels which I believe are the only native falcons in the area. The shop building where I work is a 40X100 metal building in a semi secluded compound. Last year we had a couple of Kestrals hatched in our building and it looks like they may be back this year too!

All the wonderful things man has done and we still take the back seat to nature.

Roger Eihausen
03-11-2004, 5:25 PM
Where I live in Tn. is close to Reelfoot Lake.
Every year the Bald Eagles come to the lake in feb& march.
I have seen one swoop down and grab a large fish out of the lake.
Around this area the game warden are VERY serious about these eagles.
But I'll tell you they are beautiful to watch.
The park has a outdoor cage where they take care of them that have been hurt,or cant fly.
You can right up close to them, and see how big these birds are.
Rog

Lloyd Frisbee
03-11-2004, 5:51 PM
Like this?

http://www.frisbee.org/sea-eagle2.jpg

John Miliunas
03-11-2004, 7:43 PM
Like this?

http://www.frisbee.org/sea-eagle2.jpg

Lloyd, that is just absolutely *stunning*!!! Awesome shot! :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-11-2004, 9:05 PM
http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/oldabe.html

Hey, he's from Wisconsin! :)

John Miliunas
03-11-2004, 10:13 PM
http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/oldabe.html

Hey, he's from Wisconsin! :)

Thanks, Chris! That's a neat piece of Wisconsin history! It's truly a magnificent bird, by any account! :cool:

Tom Sweeney
03-12-2004, 3:34 PM
We have a couple of red tail hawks that hang out in our back yard a lot - I can sit & watch them for a long time just admiring the grace & beauty. About 2 years a go I was jet skiing on a tributary of the upper Chesapeake bay & came across acouple of Eagles. I just turned off the jet ski & watched them for about a half hour - absolutely beautiful.