PDA

View Full Version : Got snipe - need help

Tom Leasure
02-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Switched cutter head on my Grizzly planer - went to a Bird shelix cutter & am now getting about 2" of snipe - didn't have it before ?? Tried adjusting in & out tables but didn't help. Does anybody know of a fix or something else I can adjust, reset, etc to cure my problem ?? :confused::confused: Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
Tom

Paul Simmel
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
If you didn't have it before, chances are that the new cutters are a tad lower than before. You may have to lower the in feed and out feed rollers to compensate, or raise the head if you can. Don't know which model you have. Mine is the 15".

Do you have the extension rollers attached and shimmed so that the in feed side is slightly lifting the board before it hits the in feed roller? Same for the out feed side?

I don't have mine on... never did, but am going to now because I am tired of having to lift the board's ends during in feed, run to rear and and lift for out feed. But the exercise is good.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-15-2008, 2:42 PM
If you didn't have it before, chances are that the new cutters are a tad lower than before. You may have to lower the in feed and out feed rollers to compensate, or raise the head if you can. Don't know which model you have. Mine is the 15".

Do you have the extension rollers attached and shimmed so that the in feed side is slightly lifting the board before it hits the in feed roller? Same for the out feed side?

I don't have mine on... never did, but am going to now because I am tired of having to lift the board's ends during in feed, run to rear and and lift for out feed. But the exercise is good.

Either that or they ground the shaft wrong where it goes in the bearings and there is a sloppy fit

Tom Leasure
02-15-2008, 4:51 PM

Paul, I do have the front & rear rolloer feed tables installed - I will try setting the rear a litle high to compenaste - the shelix head can't be adlusted so I will go the roller trick first the try adjusting the in & out feeds - the palnner is a 15" grizzy model 1021Z - if that means anything

Thanks,
Tom