PDA

View Full Version : First Dresser

David Giles
02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
81676 81677 81678
A neighborhood kid needed a dresser with very easy opening drawers. So I decided to experiment on him. First off, thanks to Richard McComas for posting a much better made dresser that I shamelessly copied in part. Case and drawer fronts are some low density wood that I bought at a Texas sawmill (cypress?). I thought the oak front and top would contrast it better than it did. Shellac finish. Basic baltic birch drawers built with pocket holes for speed.

Case is half blind dovetailed together with an Incra jig. It's a little big for an Incra setup and I messed up the pins which shortened the case a little. I need to learn how to accurately dovetail the cross pieces into the frame. I used the EZ router attachment and missed some of them by a good 1/8". And I continue my love/hate relationship with shellac. It's great as a base coat, but I have trouble getting a flat, smooth finish. WB lacquer works better for me. All in all, a good learning experience. Thanks for looking!

Pete London
02-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Clean lines...nicely done!

Rob Wright
02-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Nice figure on the top two drawers.

Looks great for your first!

I also like building drawers with BB and pocket screws. The drawer front attach easy and it is very quick.

-Rob

gary Zimmel
02-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Nice looking dresser.

You did a great job. The new owner will surely put it to good use for a long time..