PDA

View Full Version : question about router table starter pin

Stephen Edwards
02-14-2008, 9:44 PM
Can someone please explain to me the purpose of the starter pin on a router table? Thanks.

Bill Huber
02-14-2008, 9:52 PM
Well I am not sure this is the whole answer but for me I use it just about any time I am not using the fence.
I hold the wood against the pin and then slowly bring the wood to the bit. I can control the wood this way and the bit will not grab the wood.

But I am sure there is more to it so I will be sure and watch the other replies.

Jim Dunn
02-14-2008, 9:53 PM
As I understand it, it's useful for starting a piece of work into a bit that has an irregular shape. It's use replaces the need for a hand router. That is, it replaces a hand router for doing edges on thin pieces. I hope that makes sense.

I actually like Bill's answer better:)

Greg Hines, MD
02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
The purpose of a starter pin is to act as a fulcrum for you to brace a workpiece against, so that when you contact the bit, but not the bearing yet, it will not be pulled out of your hands.

Doc

Stephen Edwards
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys....I've been using an old craftsman router table without a starter pin. Mostly, I use the router table for putting a profile on the edge of a piece of wood using bits with ball bearing guides. If i'm understanding you correctly, you would first hold the piece of stock firm against the pin and THEN ease it into the bit before making the pass. Is that correct?

Thanks again for the input.

Jim Dunn
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Is that correct?

YES:D:D:D:D:D

Bill Huber
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys....I've been using an old craftsman router table without a starter pin. Mostly, I use the router table for putting a profile on the edge of a piece of wood using bits with ball bearing guides. If i'm understanding you correctly, you would first hold the piece of stock firm against the pin and THEN ease it into the bit before making the pass. Is that correct?

Thanks again for the input.

Yes but if it is a straight piece of wood I always us the fence.

Greg Hines, MD
02-14-2008, 10:24 PM
You will find that you will get better control with the fence for a straight workpiece, but for curved work, you need to use a starter pin.

Doc