PDA

View Full Version : Any recomendations for assembly squares?

Joseph Ezerskis
03-09-2004, 6:50 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone have any suggestions for a corner or assembly square? I know Rockler sells the plastic "Assembly Square" and Hartville tools sells an aluminum "3-D square". Both seem pricey,(around $12) but I think the accuracy would be better than any home built I can do right now :D (my thumb is still a hammer magnet.) I think there must be another manufacturer or two that I havn't checked or some other industry that uses the same concept. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Joe

Tyler Howell
03-09-2004, 7:44 PM
Joe,
The Rockler modal goes on sale quite often particularly if you buy in quantity. Woodcraft has a metal one as well.
I've found them to be rugged and helpful.

Bart Leetch
03-09-2004, 7:55 PM
If you have a table-saw glue 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together & trim them into a square with your table saw & sled. Then diagonal cut it on the band-saw or with what ever saw you have that can do this safely. Then drill some holes about mid way on each length of the 2 sides at 90 degrees to each other to put the clamp heads into when clamping. Then just knock the corner point off so it will set into the corner of what ever you trying to clamp together. I made 4 of these for under $5. After all this is wood working isn't it? :D

Pat Salter
03-10-2004, 12:33 AM
we take 6" squares of 3/4" ply and dado a plus sign in them. they don't need clamps and they work well for corners or shelves. we put them on the front and back of a carcass and then when it's nailed (or whatever) take off the back ones and add the back of the cabinet. Done deal, when the dado gets worn, make more.

Bart Leetch
03-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Pats idea will work good too.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Joe, I have both the plastic and metal ones...they come in handy all the time. You'll always have situations where one kind is better than the other and all the shop-builit ones work just as well, too.

Steve Beadle
03-10-2004, 11:27 AM
If you have a table-saw glue 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together & trim them into a square with your table saw & sled. Then diagonal cut it on the band-saw or with what ever saw you have that can do this safely. Then drill some holes about mid way on each length of the 2 sides at 90 degrees to each other to put the clamp heads into when clamping. Then just knock the corner point off so it will set into the corner of what ever you trying to clamp together. I made 4 of these for under $5. After all this is wood working isn't it? :D

I agree with your approach, Bart. I made several assembly squares pretty much the same way, and in various sizes to fit different projects. And, Joseph, if you're concerned about the accuracy of shop-built squares, that's just a matter of accurate machine set-up. And if my miter saw cut or table saw cut is off a little, I just correct it with a few few swipes of a handplane on a shooting board.

I admire the fancy commercially-made assembly squares--everything but the price!