PDA

View Full Version : New turner here

Grant Davis
02-14-2008, 8:39 PM
I just thought I would step in here and introduce myself. My name is Grant Davis and I live in Columbus, Ohio. I have been doing flat work for about 35 years and have not done any turning since a HS woodworking class. At the urging of my oldest daughter and my girlfriend who often see me admiring segmented bowls, pens and the other beautiful work you guys and gals produce here, I am taking the plunge and buying a used Jet JML1014VS. I pick it up Sunday morning. Over the past week I have been burning up the internet to read all I can about turning and lathes in general. I have 3 books and 1 DVD checked out from three different libraries. I have yet to touch tool to wood and I already feel myself being pulled into what some of you call the "vortex."

I also made a stop by Woodcraft this evening and signed up for a class called Pens, Pens, Pens.

What if anything can be done to stop this madness?

Barry Elder
02-14-2008, 8:53 PM
Grant, nothing can be done! You are in the vortex!! Go Gators!!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2008, 9:28 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Grant! The class you signed up for will sure help you on your way into the vortex but I would like to suggest you join a local turning club - the folks there will help cut years off the learning curve! Have fun and make sure you post some pictures of your new lathe once you get it up and running!

Bill Bolen
02-14-2008, 9:41 PM
My son took that class at WC and got a lot out of it. They had a bit of time left and their instructor showed them a few sharpening tips. Ofcourse their grinder just happened to be on sale soooo...Welcome! you will enjoy yourself here and at your new lathe. You made a good choice with the 1014vs,,,Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Congats on the new lathe and to the woodturning black hole. As Ken Fitzgerald would say take a picture of the green stuff in your wallet cause it isn't going to be there long.

Bill Embrey
02-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Howdy Grant... welcome to the world of spinny things... and what exactly is this "madness" you refer to? Unless keeping a chainsaw in your trunk is madness... asking strangers if you can cut limbs, trees, etc while other folks are trying in vain to convince you that tree is there for landscaping reasons..... asking if your employer can do direct deposit to woodcraft, craft supplies USA, etc.... telling your wife you'll be right in when she says dinner is ready, but by the time you get in from the shop, it's breakfast time... are these the things which you mayhap be addressing as "madness"? :) :) :)

robert hainstock
02-15-2008, 8:49 AM
It is an irresistable feeling, Not madness. One of the few HOBBIES that produce beauty, peace, nad add years to ones life. Welcome!:D:D
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2008, 8:53 AM
Welcome to the Vortex Grant! I was shoved in a couple of years ago by the inmates here. It's the closest thing I have seen to instant gratification.

Join a local club! Turners by nature are a very generous group. I'm sure some of the more experienced turners would be glad to have you over and give you a hands-on lesson.

Dennis Peacock
02-15-2008, 9:53 AM
Welcome to the Vortex Grant!!!!! Just relax and enjoy the ride. :D

Mike Golka
02-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Get some shoes with realy good tread, it's a steep any slippery slope:D.
Welcome to the vortex!

Mike

Tom Sherman
02-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Just like swimming in cold water Grant, don't dabble with it just jump in you'll be fine. Welcome to the wonderful world of turning.

Paul Engle
02-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Welcome Grant... yea ....ur pretty much done with f..t work.....cept for segmenting stuff. oh! not there yet ?:confused: well... I give ya 6 months to a year...:D.

Grant Davis
02-15-2008, 1:12 PM
Thanks to everyone of you for the nice welcome the the Turning VORTEX. I have taken some of your advice and already looked up my local chapter here in Ohio http://www.centralohiowoodturners.org/pageHome/home.php I have also just put a check in the mail last night to join in the fun with this group. Once again, thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to possibly meeting some of you someday in person when I travel for work. If there are any Central Ohio turners on here I would like to chat with you sometime or maybe meet you at a turners meeting in the future.

Thanks again,
Grant