PDA

View Full Version : Pantry glue-up Wheeeeew

Steve Clardy
02-14-2008, 8:01 PM
I about wore plum out before I got all the clamps on this 48x86 kitchen pantry :rolleyes:

Jesse Cloud
02-14-2008, 8:52 PM
Holey moley Steve, you must be keeping Jorgy and titebond in business!:D

One of these days, some bright engineer is gonna market clamps that tighten themselves and we will all be standing in line!:cool:

How's the roof holding up this winter? I think if I heard a creak or a crack I would brown my pants.:eek:

Take care,
Jess

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2008, 8:58 PM
I hope the saw horses are up to the task! Got to be some weight there. Jim.

Frederick Rowe
02-14-2008, 9:12 PM
That's not a kitchen pantry, it's a clamp rack.

Rob Wright
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Steve-

Both Bessey and Jorgensen called - they want their clamps back!:D

I am not sure that I own that many clamps total!

More pic's when it gets stood up-

- Rob

Steve Clardy
02-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Holey moley Steve, you must be keeping Jorgy and titebond in business!:D

One of these days, some bright engineer is gonna market clamps that tighten themselves and we will all be standing in line!:cool:

How's the roof holding up this winter? I think if I heard a creak or a crack I would brown my pants.:eek:

Take care,
Jess

Roof is great Jesse. ;)
Yes I'm clamp poor:o

Steve-

Both Bessey and Jorgensen called - they want their clamps back!:D

I am not sure that I own that many clamps total!

More pic's when it gets stood up-

- Rob

Oh no. I need these clamps :p:D

Pantry, er, clamp rack with saw horses :rolleyes: is sanded, in the finish room with the stain a drying.

I'm pooped. This thing looks huge in this pic:eek:

Jim Becker
02-15-2008, 7:33 AM
And just think, you got to pick every one of those clamps up a second time when you stripped them off the piece! LOL

Very nice work, Steve!

Richard M. Wolfe
02-15-2008, 9:31 AM
Yeah, Steve, I was just wondering myself what the cabinet plus clamps weighed when you had them all attached. I've had a few panels with about a tenth of the clamps and needed to move them and really got a workout.

Steve Clardy
02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, Steve, I was just wondering myself what the cabinet plus clamps weighed when you had them all attached. I've had a few panels with about a tenth of the clamps and needed to move them and really got a workout.

Not sure. I had a tad bit of trouble :o getting it off the sawhorses and into the finish room by myself. [Used a hand truck to wheel it in.]
There's 2 1/2 sheets of 3/4 ply in the cab.
27 clamps.
8 were 36" F style clamps
2 were 36" I beam clamps
17 were 36" cabinetmaster clamps

Chris Padilla
02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Use more cauls and less clamps, Bro!! Been tellin' ya that fer eons!! ;)

Steve Clardy
02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Use more cauls and less clamps, Bro!! Been tellin' ya that fer eons!! ;)

Sell clamps, buy cauls? :eek: Hmmm

glenn bradley
02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
That looks great. I tend to call those glue-ups porcupines. LOML didn't understand the clamp theory (you can never have enough . . . ) until she saw a small assembly buried under a dozen clamps.

Paul Girouard
02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
One question how will you get in into the house?

One time we built a similar panty , out of Melemie (sp) what a $#!% to get it into the house.

The boss designed that one BUT after that job we built those as at least two boxes .

Steve Clardy
02-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Wheel it into the door on its side.
Lay the cart and cab down. Pull cab off, lay it on its back, then stand it up.

Cross measurement height on this 48x86" cab is 98" tall.
With 96" walls, you have stand the width of the cab up.

Hope I got that explained

Paul Girouard
02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Must be a straight shot in the door eh. Ya been there done that, I have never built one(cabinet) that would not fit into the house.

I have built a couple that where very tight and required a lil grease :eek: Or had to go in a different route / door than we had planned :o

We had a sub zero refer once that had there not been a skylight in the kitchen never would have been able to be stood up without cutting some dry wall out. We got luck on that one :p

Steve Clardy
02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Lol. I've had a couple of mess up's over the years :o

Once we pulled a living room window out to get a 36" corner base in.:rolleyes:

36" corner bases will not go through 36" front doors :(

Now I leave the base legs and toekick board off of those corner cabs till they are in the house.

David Duke
02-15-2008, 1:36 PM
I got one in the works thats is 72 x 84, I built it in two sections (upper and lower). Put the face frame on mine using pocket holes screws, its a built in so I didn't have to worry about the pockets showing.

Chris Padilla
02-15-2008, 2:50 PM
We have an extra large sliding glass door...the only time it is ever opened is to haul appliances in and out from the kitchen! Handy little sucker for that! :D

When I build my own home, it will have double-doors on the front...looks nicer...easier to get things in and out of, too!

Jeffrey Makiel
02-15-2008, 6:10 PM
Hey Steve...upon careful examination of your first pic, you missed a spot where you could have put another clamp!

Clamp-R-Us.

-Jeff :)

Bill Wyko
02-15-2008, 7:07 PM
Hey steve, ya missed one.:D Just proves once again "You can never have too many clamps":rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
02-15-2008, 7:29 PM
Lol. There was room for a few more, but those spots were down against the box. And I was pooped out by the time I got them all on. :p:D:D:D