PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Engraved Parker Pens?

Troy Cooper
02-14-2008, 7:30 PM
I just got a call from a customer that would like to have a Parker pen and pencil set engraved with some initials. She said that the pen is a matte black painted brass (from Parker's Sonnet line - See attached).

I figured I better get some input from anyone experienced with laser engraving this type of pen before I make a mess of a perfectly beautiful a pen. And did I mention that the custom is making a 30-minute drive to get here so I'll be doing it while she waits. No pressure...

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thad Nickoley
02-14-2008, 7:45 PM
to much pressure for me. i am sure it would be fine but i sure like to practice settings etc..

Mike Null
02-14-2008, 7:55 PM
It would be worth a call to Parker to inquire how to engrave. It may require a rotary or diamond drag.

I agree it looks like a laser will work but what's your fallback position if it doesn't?

Troy Cooper
02-14-2008, 8:37 PM
When I asked the customer if she knew what type of metal it was she didn't know and ended up calling Parker. That's how she found out it was painted brass. She also told me that Parker told her that they could laser engrave it for her but she told them she wanted someone local to do it because she doesn't have time to send it off. They apparently told her that they don't like it when anyone else engraves their pens. I'm not sure if that's because it easy and they don't want to share that business or if it's because it's hard and no one can do the job well.

Maybe I'll have to give Parker a call tomorrow and explain to them that the customer just doesn't have time to send it them and see if they will give me some advice. I'm not really looking to make pen engraving a staple of my business.

If I get any good information from Parker I'll post it. Any other insights would still be appreciated though.

Thanks,

Mike Mackenzie
02-14-2008, 9:16 PM
Troy,

I would wager that the pen is Laser Engraved by Parker using a YAG Laser system. It will probably work with the CO2's however it will not be a shinny brass under the painted surface. this is what differs from Co2 laser pens and Yag laser pens. Yag lasers etch into the metal and bring the brite brass out whereas CO2's will only remove the painted surface leaving a dull brass look.

Doug Bergstrom
02-15-2008, 8:31 AM
Although we have not engraved that pen we have done many pens that look like they should be able to be engrave but come out great. This year we gave out pen and pencil sets that we got at TJ Max. Cross pens that were red, when engraved the engraved area was gold. We had a ton of responses from them and they were not very expensive.

Troy Cooper
02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
and Mike was right. They indicated that they use a YAG laser to laser engrave their pens. I guess I will let my client know that I can certainly engrave off the lacquer finish but that the engraving will be dull compared to one done with a YAG laser.

I at least feel confident that I won't ruin the pen and will leave it up to the client to determine if they want to take the chance.

Thank you all for your help.

Mike Null
02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Troy

That can probably done with a rotary process called burnishing. If you have an engraver near you it might be worth a call to discuss it. Or you can direct your customer that way if time is short.

FWIW I've run into lacquers so thick I could laser and color fill with gold Rub n Buff.

Troy Cooper
02-15-2008, 7:50 PM
I notified my (potential) customer earlier today about the differences between a CO2 and YAG laser process and told her that the engraving would be dull by comparison to the YAG process. She indicated that she didn't care and wanted me try anyway. So, disclosures having been stated, I threw caution to the wind and ran with it.

The pen and pencil engraved beautifully with just a plain old CO2 laser. I ended up making 4 passes at 100% speed and 20% power at 600 DPI on my 60w system. That way I didn't have to guess on a single pass power setting and was able to keep taking away paint until I just got through to the brass.

The customer was absolutely delighted with the process and the result and indicated that she was actually glad it did not end up shinier. On her way out the door she asked for bunch of business cards and said that she would be telling the company she works for about our corporate award line and would tell her friends as well.

There's nothing like a happy customer to make you feel good at the end of the day. Well, except for the request for quote that just came in for a 400 piece, double 4x6 photo plaque job! That makes me feel pretty good too.

Thanks again to everyone who put in their 2 cents and happy lasering.

Mike Null
02-15-2008, 8:18 PM
Good job! You were prepared and cautioned your customer and took your time to do a good job.

What more could the customer want?

Uma Duffy
02-16-2008, 9:59 AM
In our experience with Waterman and Parker pens....the key to success is in choosing a fine line font for the crispest look. But it's very true that we never get the sparkly gold look that a Yag gets. The engraved area is a dull gold.
Go with a high heat and fast speed for best results. Customers have been please with the finished product.