PDA

View Full Version : new basement shop SketchUp. thoughts??

NICK BARBOZA
02-14-2008, 7:13 PM
well here is my first draft of the basement shop upgrade/move.

let me know your thoughts of the plan. the tool placement isn't perfect to the inch but it is pretty much what i plan on. the ceilings are LOW (about 6'8") plywood and poured concrete walls, open joist above, alot of florecent "wrap around" lights. walls painted light color, i am considering taking a paint srayer from work to do the open joist but i dont know it is worth the time. Ideas??

as for how i work, i do not use sheetgoods very often and anyways i would need to break them down before they make it into the shop anyways...
most of my work is solid furniture, smaller stuff, coffee tables, end tables, soon to have some dressers, beds and dining tables (maybe matching chairs) produced from the shop.

the tools shown are: PM 66, Craftsman 10" TS, PFMX 16-32, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12 CMS, 16" planer,12" DP. i also have JET 1100RC DC not show.

let me know what you guys think about my layout. tear it all up so i have something to do tomorrow night after work!! thanks for your input!

Nick

James Biddle
02-14-2008, 8:26 PM
Nick,
I'd make a piece of wood the largest size you want to use for each tool in your shop and and show it going in and coming out of the tool. That will help you with your tool placement and tell you how big of a project you can design and build.

I'd also locate your DC and figure out the runs to each tool or how you're going to roll the DC to the tool and where to place it during use. This will impact your tool placement as much as any other factor.

I also try to place my tools so I can use each of them with the minimum amount of tool movement and setup.

Lastly, all the little stuff in a shop can take up as much room as the big tools. Allow areas for everything. Don't forget wood storage.

Michael Gibbons
02-15-2008, 7:03 AM
Nick, are the tools, other than the TS, on mobile bases? That might help.

NICK BARBOZA
02-15-2008, 7:07 AM
I plan on moving my DC from tool to tool. and yes all of the others are also on mobile bases. i have lumber storage in another area of the basement for the big stuff. thanks for the ideas.

Geoff Potter
02-15-2008, 8:03 AM
Shouldn't your planer and jointer be in closer proximity to your table saw?