PDA

View Full Version : How does humidity affect contact cement?

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2008, 6:04 PM
It's supposed to rain most of the weekend here and I'm planning on cutting some laminate and glueing it down this weekend. I'll be using the original formula contact cement, not the water based stuff. Anyone know if I'll have any problems? It's also supposed to be in the lower 40s one day, and upper 40s on Sunday. I need to look at the glue's directions to see if it will work within that temp range. Really don't want to lose the weekend, but don't want to ruin a bunch of moneys worth of laminate either. Had to pay full price for these 2 sheets. :D TIA! Jim.

Steve Clardy
02-14-2008, 6:24 PM
Jim. It will dry slower than usual.

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2008, 7:56 PM
If that was all, I could live with that. But the instructions say the temps needs to be above 65 for 2 days before using, and above 72 for 3 days after for proper bonding. So I guess I'll get everything cut out and clean ALL the wood chips :o out of the shop before I do this another weekend. I do need to build the Herc-U-Lift for the base and figure out how to mount it to this particular structure. Maybe get the drawer slides installled and drawers built if I have enough ply left to do it with.
Thanks Steve! Jim.

Steve Clardy
02-14-2008, 7:58 PM
Yep....

All the chips and chunks. ;) :D:D