PDA

View Full Version : Is your lathe this big ?

Bobby Hatfield
03-09-2004, 5:38 PM
I wish I had a lathe this big, this job would have been much easier.

Bobby Hatfield
03-09-2004, 5:50 PM

Actually, the trim cross section looks like this, and the other picture is two 19" radius pieces. Now that is done, so its on to turned legs X 6 times for two other projects.

Richard Allen
03-09-2004, 6:33 PM
That looks less than 48" so the answer would be yes my lathe is bigger than that.

Ask around at your turning club for someone with a Oneway 2436 that has the big outboard attachment the next time you want to turn something big.

Thanks

Terry Hatfield
03-09-2004, 7:16 PM
Hey bobby,

Nice frame, but that sure is a ugly picture you put in it. :D :D :D

Terry

Tyler Howell
03-09-2004, 7:35 PM
Terry LMAO:D

Bobby Very nice. This lathe wil do the job for you but, It's going to cost you your truck. (Thanks Julie);) http://www.franktross.com/weld_bowl.asp

Bobby Hatfield
03-09-2004, 7:56 PM
That looks less than 48" so the answer would be yes my lathe is bigger than that.

Ask around at your turning club for someone with a Oneway 2436 that has the big outboard attachment the next time you want to turn something big.

Thanks

Thanks Richard, no clubs within a hundred miles of here to check with, in fact my shop may be the only one within that hundred miles with a lathe. I made a radius jig for my moulder and run that built up trim, then undercut the back on router table to fit the opening of the brick faced door opening, will post pic's when its installed.

Bobby Hatfield
03-09-2004, 8:06 PM
Hey bobby,

Nice frame, but that sure is a ugly picture you put in it. :D :D :D

Terry

Yeah, it ought to be against the law to show that much ugly in one place, should have had Zack to make the picture, his camera has a filter.

Bobby Hatfield
03-09-2004, 8:13 PM
Terry LMAO:D

Bobby Very nice. This lathe wil do the job for you but, It's going to cost you your truck. (Thanks Julie);) http://www.franktross.com/weld_bowl.asp

Tyler, how would you like to get a catch on that bowl ? Some lathe huh, I would like to practice on a smaller one first.

Terry Hatfield
03-09-2004, 8:31 PM
Yeah, it ought to be against the law to show that much ugly in one place, should have had Zack to make the picture, his camera has a filter.

I seem to remember Zack taking a picture of me that showed up, so that there ugly filter must be broke. :D

Terry

David Rose
03-09-2004, 9:18 PM
Bobby, I wonder if you could have steam bent that? I kind of doubt the wood would (how much wood could a woodchuc..) bend in that direction, but I haven't tried yet.

My lathe is way bigger than that, but the swing ain't. :rolleyes:

David

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Bobby
That looks Great.
I was looking real close for the segments, but anyway.
Don't splane it - I'll just look an wunder. huh?
Very nice.
Daniel :D

Bill Grumbine
03-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Bobby

The Poolewood would handle that with no problem at all. Now me, that might be a different story! ;) Very nice looking. I won't even make any ugly jokes like the rest of these prima donnas. :eek:

Bill

Bobby Hatfield
03-10-2004, 2:53 PM
Bobby
That looks Great.
I was looking real close for the segments, but anyway.
Don't splane it - I'll just look an wunder. huh?
Very nice.
Daniel :D

Daniel, they were about 9" long with a 14 to 15 degree on each end overlapped about halfway on each other, also the grain is a little bland, all joints were filled before sanding, the boards were cypress because I didn't have anything else on hand without knots, may be a little soft but its paint grade and will be spackeled before final coat of paint.

Bobby Hatfield
03-10-2004, 6:35 PM
Hi Bobby

The Poolewood would handle that with no problem at all. Now me, that might be a different story! ;) Very nice looking. I won't even make any ugly jokes like the rest of these prima donnas. :eek:

Bill

I bet that Poolewood would handle the job, wish I had it today, the ole powermatic vibrated and rattled every second it was turned on. Finished turning cabinet fake legs for the bar end today, pic's posted. Bill don't look too close, I just noticed an error I made after I posted the pic's, will fix it tomorrow maybe, if not too much trouble.

Tom Hintz
03-11-2004, 7:39 AM
My lathe is WAY bigger than that! I held one of my larger bowls up to the picture and it is far bigger around than that ring!

Bobby Hatfield
03-11-2004, 7:09 PM

Here is the installation going on, on the two halves of radius trim. Lots of hand fitting around the brick, glad someone else got that job. The backside, with trim, and without trim.