PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting in situ: part 2

Darren Null
02-14-2008, 4:58 PM
The customer really likes the idea of sandblasting (well, he likes the idea of lasering, but his doors come in 2 sizes, 1 of which won't fit in my machine (by 2 centimetres!!! ).

It occurs to me that while the surfaces are various, I'm mostly going to be doing the same logo on them. Is it possible to make a portable cabinet, open on the working side with whatever apertures are necessary on the other? Obviously height adjustable (I'm thinking camera tripod and beer crates, on my budget), with a sacrificial rubber seal to stop stuff escaping; collection tray at bottom, and probably duct tape to hold it in final position. So you stick your (mostly) 5-sided cube to the surface you're working on, and just blast away...moving the whole rig to the next site once you've finished.

So. Does anyone have plans for a sandblasting cabinet that I can file the serial numbers off and use for my evil purposes? What sort of material specs are we talking about (Thickness of glass/ best material for frame etc)?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can offer. I like Keith's sandblaster/vacuum machine, but $850 is beyond my budget ATM, so as normal I'm winging it. Thanks.

James Stokes
02-14-2008, 5:45 PM
You do not need a cabinet necessarily. When I do large glass jobs I set the glass on an a-frame in my back yard.
For information on building a cabinet google sandcarver.org You will find all the info you need there.

Joe Pelonio
02-14-2008, 6:26 PM
You're still talking about doing a door still mounted, or taking it off and doing it on site?

If the latter, yes, you can do it without booth in an open area with no humans or cars around that could get hit. I have done small wood signs in my back yard. If the image is small enough that there is plenty of mask around the door so that the only stray sand is bouncing off, not out of the gun, then a heavy cloth, tarp, or canvas and duct tape should be fine.

Seems like the biggest problem is having enough light to see what you are doing for a nice even depth.

Darren Null
02-15-2008, 3:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to need a cabinet of some sort because there isn't anywhere on site where I won't hit a mirror or glass on the rebound. Plus, if I'm going to have to build a cabinet, I want to be able to take it round and about to do other odd bits. Looking at that sandcarver site now...

(And if I'm gonna have to build one, I can always whop a work light into it.)