PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot!!!!! #2

Matt Woessner
02-14-2008, 2:40 PM
I just recently found a barn that a guy I know has and is planning on tearing it down within the next couple years. This guy is letting me take all the lumber from the barn free of charge with no time constraints! There are some very nice oak beams and posts inside! Also many boards and floor joists. I could not begin to think how much lumber I have just scored!!! This barn is a lot bigger than what it looks like in the picture, the hay loft is one of the biggest I have seen. I am blown away with my find, Happy Valentines Day to me! :D

Lee Koepke
02-14-2008, 2:42 PM
lucky duck.

the best i have gotten thus far is a 100+ yr old corn crib....

Pete Harbin
02-14-2008, 2:45 PM
Big time score! Congrats, and be SAFE pulling it apart!

Pete

Matt Woessner
02-14-2008, 2:46 PM
That is the best part is that I can take my time and make sure I am taking it down the safest way possible, I wont have to rush.

Sam Yerardi
02-14-2008, 2:46 PM
You literally bagged a big one! Congrats!

Joe Chritz
02-14-2008, 3:44 PM
Good score.

I have seen some beautiful projects from recycled barn wood.

I would like to make an aquarium stand from some if I can get ahold of some.

Joe

Matt Woessner
02-14-2008, 3:48 PM
Joe,
My recent thread Jackpot number 1 I scored some old floor joists from another building. I am making myself a workbench from that material. I can't wait until me bench is done and then I can figure out some more projects for this old wood. I also must say turning this old wood into nice straight boards from it bowed or cupped state really gives me a lot of satisfaction. I have defiantly caught the antique wood bug, and would recommend trying it if you have never done it.

Jeff Considine
02-14-2008, 3:57 PM
Nice score, we'll be looking for pics of completed projects.

A bit sacrilegious I know, but it is a little disheartening to see these old barns come down. They always stirs up lots of happy memories for me.

At least this one goes to good hands that will create something equally memorable for someone from it.

Peter Quinn
02-14-2008, 4:01 PM
I used to work in flooring mill, used recycled barn timbers occasionally, man does that old growth white oak have pretty delicate cathedrals! They let me take home two boards once at the end of a run, I was giddy for days...still haven't used it for anything..saving it for someday. If they gave me the whole barn? Probably would have quit my job the next day!

Might be time to buy your self a LOG MASTER!

Matt Woessner
02-14-2008, 4:05 PM
Peter,
Thankfully I have a really good friend of mine whos' uncle has a sawmill, plus the guy I buy some lumber from here in the area will also saw some up for cheap too.

Chris Padilla
02-14-2008, 4:21 PM
So WHERE exactly in MO are you, Matt?! :D Actually, the barn looks HUGE...lottsa bf in there for you to grab!

Do be careful bringing her down...however you do it...we want you healthy and ready to create some fine projects! :)

gary Zimmel
02-14-2008, 6:12 PM
Matt

Nice score on the barn. That will give enough wood for more than a couple of projects....

Guy Germaine
02-14-2008, 7:13 PM
Hey Matt, old buddy, old pal!!!! :D
I'm not too far East of the river. Need some help tearing it down? I won't charge much!!!! LOL

Nice Score! Wish I could get that lucky!

Daniel McCurdy
02-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Matt, nice score. I just got a bunch of large oak beams myself from a barn that never got put back together. I'll PM you my email address, I'd like to keep in touch on the upcoming projects you plan to do with it. I'll also share some of the stuff I'm doing as well.

Matt Woessner
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Dan
I recently saw your beams that you scored, very nice. Congrats to you.

Scott Long
02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice score!!!

In fact I just got word that my empleyer has an old barn that they are tearing down in the next few weeks. I was told that they are goin to make mulch out of it. I had to intercept, I will be going to the site next weekend to take out as much as I can store.

Lee Koepke
02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
i may have some freshly cut pecan trees to work from ....

Matt Woessner
02-15-2008, 3:21 PM
Scott,
sounds like your employer is not much different from mine.

Matt Day
02-15-2008, 4:06 PM
I hope you have a metal detector for all those pesky metal things that are sure to be in all that good wood!

Matt Woessner
02-15-2008, 4:28 PM
Matt,
I know a guy who would let me borrow his metal detector.

Gene O. Carpenter
02-15-2008, 7:56 PM
There was an ad in one of the 3 CraigsList districts here in NJ on a "FREE Barn",take it down and it's yours. Was, if I remember right, 30'X60', two story, built on hillside. So would have been two plank floors, two sets floor supt beams, roof trusses etc plus the long back wall uprights and all the sheathing..
I could see those stacks of Silvery rough sawn siding planks, those heavy Oak and possibly Chestnut no telling what else.. I thought oh boy where can I store it? You need two storage areas to salvage a barn. As you remove a plank you have to store it until you get the whole structure down and pull the uprights out of the ground if they're not set in concrete, if they are you best saw em off as close as close as you can. Then you have to clean it, scan it with a metal detector, mark and remove every little nail or staple. Then you have to separate and grade it into "best","better" and "good", stack it properly out of the weather and safe from "barn board thieves"..
When I saw the ad I fired off a msg to the addy of the msg poster called a friend that I knew would have the cleaning and storage area IF I made it a 50/50 share. He wasn't home! Dammmit!! He called the next morning and the ad was gone I should have responded immediately with an "I'll take it awaiting your call and included my name and phone number" ! And then apologised later if I couldn't fullfill my commitment..
That was my once in a lifetime chance at a good free wood supply. And I blew it :mad: :rolleyes: :( :cool:

Jim Andrew
02-15-2008, 9:35 PM
If you've never taken a big building down, let me tell you, it can be dangerous if you take out the wrong part at the wrong time. You should start at the top, and work your way down. And put braces in to hold the roof from leaning over and falling down with you. Just remember, one piece at a time, (and it didn't cost me a dime)

Jim Dunn
02-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Uhhh----there's a sur-charge for taking down barns without informing the other Missourians about the location and time you will be at work.:)

Matt Woessner
02-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Jim,
Not to tease you but you are not to far from me.