PDA

View Full Version : photographs

Bill Morrison
02-14-2008, 1:36 PM
When you get a photo does the customer usually have a frame or do you supply one and what is the thickness of the material you put the photo on. I would imagine it would vary but is there one size more common that another?
Also, do you just kiss the material or is there some depth to it?

Thanks
Bill

Mike Null
02-14-2008, 2:04 PM
Bill

Just about any answer is the right answer regarding the frames.

With respect to the material, that varies by material. With marble or granite you are basically ablating the surface achieving no measurable depth. With wood or acrylic you can engrave to variable depths.

Material thickness varies but I don't recall seeing marble thinner than 1/4" and usually thicker. Wood and plastic can be as thin as several thousandths to an inch or more.

Bill Morrison
02-14-2008, 4:30 PM
Thanks mike
I've been practicing doing photos and just using different material and when people started wanting to have me make them some no one mentioned a thickness. Just when I was having fun someone comes along and wants to buy one.
Bill

Bill Cunningham
02-14-2008, 9:47 PM
Forget about frames.. I usually tell the customer that the piece will fit a standard 5x7, 8x10, whatever standard frame, and let them go buy one themselves.. You want to see a ugly frame? Go to the store buy any frame you like, and show it to your wife.. 'she' will think it's a ugly frame .. Frames are very subjective, and unless you can show the customer a selection of frames that you supply, and the customer says "I want that one", you can be pretty sure what ever frame you stick it in will hit the trash pile.. Now, keeping that in mind, your picture substrate should not be too thick to fit any standard frame the customer likes..

Bill Morrison
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks Bill, that's one less thing to have to deal with. I've got 2 sisters who will be doing most of the selling so that I don't have to deal with customers. Well, I hope not too much anyway. One sister has an espresso shop next to a pet shop so she has been getting a lot of inquiries about photos of the pets.

Thank you
Bill

Bill Cunningham
02-17-2008, 3:58 PM
Thanks Bill, that's one less thing to have to deal with. I've got 2 sisters who will be doing most of the selling so that I don't have to deal with customers. Well, I hope not too much anyway. One sister has an espresso shop next to a pet shop so she has been getting a lot of inquiries about photos of the pets.

Thank you
Bill

A Expresso shop next to a pet shop, could be a virtual gold mine for you... It takes a bit more photo setup effort to etch animal pictures, (the fur or hair, generally does not reflect light like human hair) Just make sure you have a bunch of samples on display in the shop if she will let you, and wait for the jobs to roll in..