PDA

View Full Version : Table saw dust collection

Jack Clay
02-14-2008, 10:21 AM
I am rebuilding an old Unisaw and now I am looking at dust collection. I went to the woodworking show last weekend and looked at new saws for this purpose. I have my saw completely apart so now is the time to add what I need. I looked at Powermatic and Jet they both had the blade bottom covered with a dust port on the bottom of the cover. I would like to know if anybody has these saws and your opinion on there dust collection with out the blade guard on. If you have to use the blade guard for them to be effective I would probably go with an over head with dust collection. I would appreciate any input on these setups.

Jack Clay
02-14-2008, 9:25 PM
OK let’s try this I would like any information on a Powermatic 2000 table saw dust collection system. If you have it or use it please let me know what you think.

Brian Kent
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Just wanted to show you some is paying attention. I am looking for responses from people who actually know the answer. When I saw that in a photo I went out to the shop to see if mine was like that too (it wasn't). It just seems logical that this would concentrate the effect of the dust collector.

Steven Wilson
02-14-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't have one of the saws you've mentioned but mine has ductwork through the cabinet that snakes it way up to bottom of the saw blade. It's very effective as is but you also need to have overhead dust collection in addition to the saw cabinet.

Dave Verstraete
02-15-2008, 7:26 AM
I am also keeping an eye on this post. A dust collection retrofit of this nature for the PM66 would be a great idea.

Matthew Voss
02-15-2008, 9:13 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32926

Mike Cutler
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Jack

I have a dust port shroud on my General TS. I took it off, it didn't work too well. The opening was too small on the bottom.

The retrofit I've seen on older TS's is to install a piece of sheet metal, or plywood, inside the cabinet,and slope it to a 4" dust collector pickup.

Jack Clay
02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
If you watch on The New Yankee Workshop you never see dust come flying out towards him or a dust cloud, also he dose not use a overhead dust collection You would think that with all the lights for the camera use you would see it. I looked at the new Delta saws and it is like Mike said they only have a slanted plate. So are they moving a large amount of air or is it TV magic. Maybe they just edit it out ha ha. I know it is TV and Norm is an icon but what am I missing.