PDA

View Full Version : Router guide bushings - what's best?

Rich Engelhardt
02-14-2008, 7:21 AM
Hello,
I need a set of guide bushings for my PC.

Is brass the way to go?

What's a good set?

Peter Quinn
02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm using brass guide bushings from woodcraft, bought them no sale, they are the pc format in my bosch router with an adapter. Seem to be milled pretty accurate. Gotta have a good centering pin for accuracy. They seem to wear well and move a little smoother than the aluminum ones that came with the machine. I started putting one wrap of teflon tape on the threads after having one shake loose during a cut. Turns out solid carbide eats brass pretty quick.

Jim Becker
02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I prefer brass, but equally important is a good quality base so they mate well and you must center them on the router before using or you'll have less than satisfactory results. (You need a cone thingie on a regular size router bit shank to do that effectively)

JayStPeter
02-14-2008, 12:38 PM
If you can wait, Infinity tends to have good sales on their sets every so often. Nice set and can be a real nice price.

Tim Malyszko
02-14-2008, 1:12 PM
I have the brass bushing set from Woodcraft and have no complaints about them. They are designed for a Porter Cable base and work fine in my Dewalt Routers. As long as the base is centered properly, the bushings work great.

Bill Huber
02-14-2008, 1:17 PM
I bought the set from Rockler when they were on sale for $19 and they are brass and have a centering bushing in the kit that works very well.

I use them in my Bosch with the adaptor.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10671&filter=router%20bushing

Gary Muto
02-14-2008, 4:09 PM
I also have the Rockler brass guide bushing set. Paid about $20. It comes with centering cones for 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I'm very happy with performance, fit and finish. The case is handy too.