PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounted corner tool til?

Paul Erickson
02-14-2008, 2:03 AM
Has anyone built/designed a, wall mounted, corner tool cabinet/til? I plan to have two benches along two intersecting walls, and would like to build a tool til between them. I have some ideas, but would appreciate hearing from anyone else who might have done this.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Danny Thompson
02-14-2008, 9:49 AM
Lazy Susan, perhaps?

Sam Yerardi
02-14-2008, 9:50 AM
A lazy susan would be interesting. That would be a novel approach.

Robert Rozaieski
02-14-2008, 11:00 AM
I would think more about putting a small till above each bench rather than one big one in the corner. If you've ever tried to reach something in the back of a corner cabinet, it can be a challenge (go to your kitchen and try it :mad:). Maybe I'm just short but reaching over the counter top (or bench top) into the back corner is not easy for me. Also, it will be so deep that much of the space could end up being wasted or things might get burried and lost into the tool abyse :D! We don't even use our corner kitchen cabinet for anything but decorative pieces just for this reason. The lazy susan may be one way around this but I like to see everything and have it out and ready for use at any time. I don't want to dig for tools, I like having them right in front of me.

Here's how some of mine are set up (behind the apprentice)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60203

Paul Erickson
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I would think more about putting a small till above each bench rather than one big one in the corner. If you've ever tried to reach something in the back of a corner cabinet, it can be a challenge (go to your kitchen and try it :mad:). Maybe I'm just short but reaching over the counter top (or bench top) into the back corner is not easy for me. Also, it will be so deep that much of the space could end up being wasted or things might get burried and lost into the tool abyse :D! We don't even use our corner kitchen cabinet for anything but decorative pieces just for this reason. The lazy susan may be one way around this but I like to see everything and have it out and ready for use at any time. I don't want to dig for tools, I like having them right in front of me.

Here's how some of mine are set up (behind the apprentice)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60203

Thanks for the reply. Given the fact that there is a window over each bench, putting a til there will not be possible. :) The corner til will not by my only tool storage in the shop, but I want it to be the place I reach for the tools used most often. There will be more than one til in the shop eventually, but this is also an effort to make the most efficient use of limited space.

Thanks for the time and attention.

cheers, Paul

Robert Rozaieski
02-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Given the fact that there is a window over each bench, putting a til there will not be possible. :)

Ooooh, I'm definately jealous :)! I have one small window over my bench (to the left of the tools) but definately wish I had more. Nothing beats natural light.

James Mittlefehldt
02-14-2008, 11:49 AM
With a corner cabinet, you would not have to put shelves in it like a kitchen cupboard, so you then have two walls to hang stuff on, such as saws, long planes, rules etc. make a few pigeon holes in the lower portion, for shorter planes amd maybe layout tools.

I am assuming for some reason, that the space beneath it is open, and if so why not go real crazy and build a corner cabinet. Either way though I think it would be viable, just plan it out well, and figure the most used tools you have and accomodate them accordingly.

Ken Martin
02-14-2008, 8:05 PM
While I have not done it you might look at putting a till across the corner at 45 deg maybe with a wing along the wall. Admittedly you will loose some space but you won't have the long reach into the corner. And as James said you might have room to put in some pigeon holes going back to the corner.

Ken

Paul Erickson
02-14-2008, 8:14 PM
While I have not done it you might look at putting a till across the corner at 45 deg maybe with a wing along the wall. Admittedly you will loose some space but you won't have the long reach into the corner. And as James said you might have room to put in some pigeon holes going back to the corner.

Ken

Hi Ken,

That is exactly what I have been thinking. I am thinking of two or more rows of pigeon holes pointing into the corner with the longest plane (probably a 5-1/2) in the middle, and suceedingly shorter planes on either side. It seems to me to be the most efficient use of this sort of space.

cheers, Paul

Tom Stovell
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Has anyone built/designed a, wall mounted, corner tool cabinet/til?

I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with as far as this corner storage is concerned. That seems to be my best option, too, for maximum storage. I've got a dead corner in my shop and have plans to build a hanging cupboard there. To each side I'm going to add some open storage panels (plywood backs with a 5" wide frame--the 5" is the same width as the cupboard side). Let us know what you decide to do with your space.

Tom

Kevin French
02-16-2008, 8:03 AM
Hi Ken,

That is exactly what I have been thinking. I am thinking of two or more rows of pigeon holes pointing into the corner with the longest plane (probably a 5-1/2) in the middle, and suceedingly shorter planes on either side. It seems to me to be the most efficient use of this sort of space.

cheers, Paul

OR put the Saw till on the 45 and the space behind is used to some trophy plane/tool. You could have a couple shelves w/guides for the saws

Paul Erickson
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Well, here is my progress on the prototype so far. Nothing new or particularly exciting, but in terms of efficient use of space, it seems to work. Lots of refinements to make, and I still may add another shelf for planes. Don't know if I want to put it above the existing top one, or underneigth. The shallower shelves will eventually support drawers. The planes on their sides there are just temporary. The space behind the leaning jointers will be used for items used infrequently. I have seem people use a hinged, sloping, sheet of wood, but in
order to access the space they have to remove the planes anyway, so it seems reasonable to eliminate one extraneous piece of wood. The shelf that supports the tops of the leaning planes is one of the corners that I cut off to make the lower shelves. I may mount one in the space behind the jointers, and another one just above the existing shelf for smaller items.

For the sake of perspective, the center planes on the two lower shelves are #6's, with 5.5's and 5's on either side with 4's and 3's.

I may gussey it up later, but I'm pleased with the concept in general. Any suggestions for refinement will be appreciated.

cheers, Paul

Billy Chambless
02-26-2008, 7:32 AM
I like that prototype -- it's giving me an idea or two, especially as my unde-the-bench plane shelf is getting too full.

Jim Mims
02-26-2008, 9:32 AM
Has anyone built/designed a, wall mounted, corner tool cabinet/til? I plan to have two benches along two intersecting walls, and would like to build a tool til between them. I have some ideas, but would appreciate hearing from anyone else who might have done this.
Thanks in advance.
cheers, Paul

By coincidence, I received my first issue of Shop Notes last night and it had the book "The Complete Small Shop" included.
One of the projects was a corner Revolving Tool Station. It's a lumberjocks project: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/5534

- Jim

Dave Anderson NH
02-26-2008, 9:57 AM
Hi Paul,

The prototype proves out the concept quite well. If you want to have some fun with what you've got already, just go to Rockler or Woodcraft or one of the other suppliers and buy some inexpensive veneer. With a bit of work you can take the current prototype and turn it into the final product.

Paul Erickson
02-27-2008, 2:19 PM
Hi Paul,

The prototype proves out the concept quite well. If you want to have some fun with what you've got already, just go to Rockler or Woodcraft or one of the other suppliers and buy some inexpensive veneer. With a bit of work you can take the current prototype and turn it into the final product.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. I am thinking of putting some hardwood strips along the edges, Is that what you had in mind, or do you think I should veneer the shelves also?

cheers, Paul

Dave Anderson NH
02-27-2008, 2:27 PM
I'd do both Paul. The edge strips will be needed for durability and the veneer will just make it look nice. An alternate to the veneer is lining the bottom of the shelves with a cork or cork/rubber padding. .062" for the cork would do just fine. It's what I used on my shelves in my plane till and it's held up quite well in addition to slightly padding and shock absorbing. Just glue it down with either contact cement or plain yaller glue.

Pedro Reyes
02-27-2008, 5:41 PM
Paul,

I like the prototype, I don't think you have enough Jointers ;)

How exactly is the weight being supported?

/p

Paul Erickson
02-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Paul,

I like the prototype, I don't think you have enough Jointers ;)

How exactly is the weight being supported?

/p

Hi Pedro,

Yea, I have gotten a little caried away. :D

The shelves are supported with cleats screwed to the wall. I added the braces you see, because the plywood was sagging a bit in the middle from the weight.

cheers, Paul

Paul Erickson
02-28-2008, 5:15 AM
I'd do both Paul. The edge strips will be needed for durability and the veneer will just make it look nice. An alternate to the veneer is lining the bottom of the shelves with a cork or cork/rubber padding. .062" for the cork would do just fine. It's what I used on my shelves in my plane till and it's held up quite well in addition to slightly padding and shock absorbing. Just glue it down with either contact cement or plain yaller glue.

Hi Dave,

I like the cork idea. Where would I look for some?

cheers, Paul

Dave Anderson NH
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
If it's just straight cork, you can often find it at one of the Borgs, Home Depot or Lowe's. For the cork/rubber which is a bit better and longer lasting, try either McMaster or MSC Direct. Just add dot com to the name.

Glenn Clabo
02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
The corkstore.com is also a great source.

Ted Jay
02-28-2008, 1:15 PM
I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with as far as this corner storage is concerned. That seems to be my best option, too, for maximum storage. I've got a dead corner in my shop and have plans to build a hanging cupboard there. To each side I'm going to add some open storage panels (plywood backs with a 5" wide frame--the 5" is the same width as the cupboard side). Let us know what you decide to do with your space.

Tom

Tom,
Why not take that same hanging cupboard and put tracks on the ceiling, so you can slide it closer to the end of the bench that your working on? It might not even need doors. leave it open on both sides for access to both sides?
it's a thought that I'v been rolling around. Doesn't require any floor space.

Ted

Mark Stutz
02-28-2008, 1:18 PM
Hi Dave,

I like the cork idea. Where would I look for some?

cheers, Paul

I got sheets of 1/8 cork at Office Depot. I've used it for my plane till with good results so far, though I'm pretty careful taking planes in and out. I can see that the cork/rubber blend might be more durable.

mark